VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

how can I trigger email notification if any badge goes to "red"

I have been playing with vcops 5 for a few days now and the first impression is quite good.
One thing that I am missing is an immediate email alert when any of the badges goes to condition red.
Is this possible at all ? - so far I only found out how to send emails once a day

0 Kudos
26 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please have a look at the screenshot
vcops1.png
Sending  emails in itself works without problems.
I thought that pulling the plug on ESXi 192.168.1.100 would generate an email alert with these settings ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This might be becasue you specified an object that triggers the alerts. As the KB article states, some administrative alerts might not be delivered if you specify an object. Try creating a separate rule for administrative alerts only and do not specify any objects to see if that works for you.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you mean like this ?
vcops2.png

that does not work either ???

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try disabling the "Include Children" check box. Since you have not specified any object, that check is irrelevant. I cannot think of anything else that might be causing this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi continuum,

Can you give me a little more detailed steps of what you do and what is happening.

For example:

1. The health of a host1 is 95- green.

2. In vcops configuration when health turns 50, the badge should becomes red and email notifications are set to receive mails for hosts.

3. I shut down the host gracefully (or unplug it).

4. The health becomes green/orange/red.

5. Fault.Alram is triggered after several minutes. (or not)

6 Mail is sent (or not).

Thanks,

Iliyan

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@ bdimitrova

I can remove that check - but it always resets itself ???

@ Iliyan

I have setup a small test environment that looks like this :

vcops3.png
One vCenter 5 and 2 ESXi 5.
Then I kill ESXi 5 with IP 192.168.1.100 by simply pulling the power-plug

After a short while vCops notices this and changes its display to
vcops4.png
Again a little while later the display changes to
vcops5.png

So now I got an alert and a "mission-critical" condition - one ESXi down, one VM down and two Datastores offline.

In this case I hoped that vCops sends an email immediatly - but it doesn't.

Other scheduled email-reports though arrive as expected.

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey continuum, can you post a screenshot of the Alerts tab that shows the alert that you pointing at in your third screenshot? I'm working to find out why it's not sending the email for this case and need a little more information as to the exact properties of the alert (you can scrub any sensitive info if need).

Thanks!

Justin

Justin Smith CapacityIQ Dev Team
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Justin
hope this is what you want

vcops6.PNG

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excellent, yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

So the alert here is NOT an administrative alert, it's actually a Fault alert. You can tell because the "Sub-type" column for the "host not responding" critical alert is the Fault badge. So this alert should be sent if we get your notification rules setup properly. I can't see exactly what rules you current have set, but it seems like the first screenshot you posted here should have triggered this problem. Can you try setting up a new notification rule for the following and then try the experiment again? Hopefully you get an email. We can work from there.

Rule Name: [anything]

Email Addresses: [anything]

Alert Types: [select all but Administrative alerts, but make sure that Faults is selected at least]

Criticality Levels: Critical

Object Name: [leave blank]

Everything else won't matter if you leave Object Name blank, so don't worry about those.

Thanks!

Justin

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do I need to set everything back to healthy - meaning bring the test ESXi that I want to kill later back to live ?

ok - I set everything back to good working conditions
then I changed the notofication settings to

vcops8.png

after that I kill esxi 192.168.1.100 again and wait for the email to arrive

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah. The alert is only fired when the even occurs. The notifications won't fire retroactively, so you'd need to trigger the problem again.

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did the alert trigger? Did you receive an email?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

still waiting ....
25 minutes after vCops noticed the fault condition there still is no email

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So the Fault alert shows up in the Alert tab, but no email was sent? If so this sounds like a bug. Let me see if I can gather up a few other people to look into this. We might need a diagnostic bundle from you, but I will let you know. Thanks for pointing this out and working with us on this!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I created a diagnostic bundle but it is too large to upload - I have uploaded to ftp before - but I think you need to reactivate my temporal account

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. It would be good to get that. Trying to find the best way to get it to us now. I'll let you know what I find.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at the attachements

0 Kudos
virtualsmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excellent! Thank you! We'll see if we can figure out what's going on. Thanks for getting these to us.

0 Kudos