VMware Cloud Community
henber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wich version should I get??

Hello,

We are about to install a vCenter Operations Standard in our environment. And when I got to the download page it made me a pretty confused. Whick version is the latest? Which version shall I download? and so on.

on the vcops-pubs site I can see

vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 - the prereq states that it is a 2 VM vApp with a prereq of 900 Gb disk (100 for UI VM and 800 for analythics VM) in standard mode for a small deployment.

Then there is

vCenter Operations Standard 1.0 - prereq is 124 GB Disk (4 GB system disk + 120 GB data disk) in an singel VM env.

is vCenter Operations Standard 1.0 the old version and the Manager 5.0 the new version.

And in Operations Manager 5.0. If we have standard from the begining is it only the license version that decides what features that will be enabled in the UI?

Very thankful for a clarification on this.

BR

Henrik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, vCenter Operations Standard 1.0 is the old version, the latest one is vCenter Operations Manager 5.0.

And yes, for vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 there is really only one download, and only the license key determines whether you are able to use the features of the Standard, Advanced, Enterprise or Enterprise plus edition.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, vCenter Operations Standard 1.0 is the old version, the latest one is vCenter Operations Manager 5.0.

And yes, for vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 there is really only one download, and only the license key determines whether you are able to use the features of the Standard, Advanced, Enterprise or Enterprise plus edition.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
henber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, really appreciate your fast answer to my question.

And is it carved in stone that we have to give the analythic VM 800 Gb of storage space? Our environment is only a couple of 100 VM:s. Is the size of the analythic vm based on the number of VM:s in the inventory?

BR

Henrik

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, that is not carved in stone at all. We currently have 780 VMs managed and I deployed the vApp using the "small" resource template which provisioned 217 GB to the Analytics virtual machine and 135 GB to the UI virtual machine. It is very important to use thick provisioning though. It will save you troubleshooting performance issues down the road.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
kmurthy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

800 GB is the expected growth over a period of 6 months. You don't necessarily have to allocate it all upfront. But you'll need to keep an eye out for the disk space usage for /data partition in both the VMs and add new disks when you reach about 90% of disk space usage. I suggest you set up email notifications for Administrative alerts. This way, you'll be notified if the space usage reaches 90%.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

800 gig in 6 months? Seriously? That sounds like a VMware CYA statement to me. We ran the 1.0.0 / 1.0.1 Standard Demo for close to 4 months waiting on the 5.0 release on a single vCenter instance with over 125 VMs never got close to the 250 GB thin provision we had allocated for it. I dont even think we crossed the 100 GB mark. Now granted it was Standard pre 5.0 but still.

Of course keeping an eye on your storage is always a good idea and vCops will alert on itself if it has disk issues but if the product truly used over 100 GB of SAN storage a month on a "small" implementation it would cost more in storage than licensing to deploy. Thats almost 2 TB a year ...

There are other maintenance task you can perform to keep your DB size to a reasonable level but I think you will be ok.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
0 Kudos
kmurthy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I should've been more specific. The projected disk space usage for Analytics VM for the small configuration with 1500 VMs is 800GB. This is with the default 6 months retention period. Take a look at the sizing guidelines in the deployment guide. If you have smaller number of VMs being monitored, disk usage will be proportionally smaller.

0 Kudos
bparlier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For the sizing, yes; the planning numbers are out there and your usage shuold be significantly smaller if your environment is smaller (125 VM's is pretty small comparatively). You also need to consider the amount of metrics collected, number of times they are collected, growth of the environment, the retention policies, etc... There are a lot of considerations when you are trying to plan for the usage.

For versions, you can find a feature comparison here: http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vcenter-operations-management/compare-editi...

0 Kudos