VMware Cloud Community
scottcardinal
Contributor
Contributor

Vrops 6.1 extract all changes in env?

Hi i'm looking to extract all the changes made in my vm environment and the users that did it with vrops 6.1 views/reports. Has anyone done this?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert

I'm not 100% sure you can't, but it seems it would be easier to just deploy fresh appliances to ensure you have a totally clean slate to start from (assuming that is what you are going for).  You can leave your old environment out there for awhile, for historical data purposes, while collecting new data in your new environment.

You might be able to do an import of data (like you could on the upgrade from vCOps), but I think that would bring in not only your data, but your settings and groups and whatnot.  Better off to start clean, imo.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
scottcardinal
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for reply but what i'm looking for is to see who'd doing what in my virtual world. Moving vm's, adding space, adding ram..etc...would like it all in a report if possible.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

I totally misread your post or maybe got interrupted halfway through reading it.  My apologies.

I don't think you are going to get this information from vROps unless it is being invoked through vROps via the python adapter.  Probably need a powershell script to pull certain events daily as they happen or something like that.  If it's possible, LucD can do it. 

Have you considered simply tightened security around vCenter so that people can't make infrastructure related changes which impact resource availability?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
scottcardinal
Contributor
Contributor

We have made things tighter but folks still taking space up by deploying vm's and we adding space to vmdk's, more memory then taking up space on luns due to the swap file..etc.

it really came from storage team wanting to see who's doing what storage wise.

0 Kudos