VMware Cloud Community
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCenter node in VCOPS is 0 - red all the time.

Over a week ago I had to shutdown my vcops appliance.  Since being back on everything is looking good except the VCenter node.  We only have 1 data center and have only imported 1 VCenter Server.  The 'World' node and the Data Center node are in good health and in the Green.  Each individual node is yellow or green as per normal.  However, the VCenter Node is always at '0'.

I have tried restarting the VCenter Services and reconnecting but no luck.  Has anyone seen this before.  Usually if I see 'Red' I start looking internally for a problem, but this seems to be a definite false alarm to me.

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There can be multiple reasons for that - better go ahead and cancel the fault alert in vcops, if you are sure that the underlying issue is resolved.

That should restore health in vcops back to 'normal'.

You can also check the vCenter's own health (e.g calculated by itself) - this is shown in vSphere Client - in the main screen, open the "Health" icon and see what's there. IT should be all green. If not, it will tell you there what exactly is still wrong.

update: I see that you have actually cancelled the alert in vcops. What I say above is still valid, but you might also go to "configuration" menu (in vcops), find the "generate individual fault alerts..." checkboxes and change the current setting. This should refresh the Faults/Health and expose any 'hidden' faults.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This could be because of several reasons:

• VC has internal concept of Health that VCops is using to calculate the health. Check in the VI Client if you have a VCHealthStateChanged triggered or VC Health Alarm triggered.
  • I think that a disconnected host might also lead to VC Health = 0 situation
  • Faults can also seriously affect the VC health score. Just curious, what is the Faults score of your VC, are there any Faults?
0 Kudos
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. 

1. VC has internal concept of Health that VCops is using to calculate the health. Check in the VI Client if you have a VCHealthStateChanged triggered or VC Health Alarm triggered. -- There is nothing of the sort found on the VCenter node for alrms, tasks or Events in the VI Client for the last week.

2. I think that a disconnected host might also lead to VC Health = 0 situation -- If it were disconnected, would I still be able to see all the hosts and data center under it?  I see all of these objects in VCOPS.

3. Faults can also seriously affect the VC health score. Just curious, what is the Faults score of your VC, are there any Faults?

Here is more information regarding what I've found for Faults.  The Badge is at '100'

On the Details tab of Operations for the VCenter Node:

vCenter Service overall health changed from `green` to `not available`. Generated by vCenter Server.

Alert Information

Fault criticality:

Critical

Resource type:

vCenter Server

Resource name:

vCenter

Parent name:

World

Event time:

Jul 19, 2012 3:34:31 PM

Event Source Details

Event source:

vCenter

Source event object name:

vCenter

Source event name:

vCenter Service Overall Health Changed

Source event status:

vCenter Service overall health changed from 'green' to 'not available' . vCenter Operations Manager message: Make sure that the vCenter management web service is running, and use the vSphere Client to access the vCenter Service Status icon for more information

The 'VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices' was not running, I started this about 2 hours ago thinking this was the cause, so far, we are still at '0'

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you clear the Alarm that most probably has appeared in the vSphere Client ?

0 Kudos
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I have Aknowledged the alarm. 

0 Kudos
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any other thoughts?

All services are running. the VC Server has been restarted as well as the VCOPS environment.  No permissions have changed...

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There can be multiple reasons for that - better go ahead and cancel the fault alert in vcops, if you are sure that the underlying issue is resolved.

That should restore health in vcops back to 'normal'.

You can also check the vCenter's own health (e.g calculated by itself) - this is shown in vSphere Client - in the main screen, open the "Health" icon and see what's there. IT should be all green. If not, it will tell you there what exactly is still wrong.

update: I see that you have actually cancelled the alert in vcops. What I say above is still valid, but you might also go to "configuration" menu (in vcops), find the "generate individual fault alerts..." checkboxes and change the current setting. This should refresh the Faults/Health and expose any 'hidden' faults.

0 Kudos
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That did the trick, I was unaware that faults could get 'stuck' even though the actual issue has been long resolved.  I was also unaware that you could manually select a fault and clear it.  I need to RTFM.  haha  - thanks for everyone's response.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy

the "stuck" issue should be resolved in the next maintenance release.

0 Kudos