VMware Cloud Community
Nyphalin
Contributor
Contributor

Super metric help?

Hi again guys,

Just had a quick question while exploring super metrics. I was trying to subtract the 'Total Number of VMs' from the 'Number of Powered on VMs' to get an accurate read of how many VMs are powered off at our datacenters. My end goal is to add this metric/number count into a scorecard. I'm selecting my Datacenter object, then Summary | Total Number of VMs subtracted by Summary | Number of Powered on VMs'. Seems pretty straight forward, however I am not getting any results. When I pull open my scorecard to toss this metric in, I can't even select it from my super metric list. Any advice? I can provide more information if needed.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
carvaled
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just tried this in my lab for a specific datacenter object and using the 'Manage Super Metric' editor i got data in my chart.

Have you enabled the super metric in a policy?

0 Kudos
Nyphalin
Contributor
Contributor

I did enable it in a policy, however, I am still not able to see it when attempting to select super metrics from datacenter objects. Would you be willing to share your formula? Just to make sure mine is correct.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Make sure you have assigned the Datacenter object type to the super metric.  Also in the policy make sure it is enabled for the datacenter object type and not all object types.

This formula should work:

${this, metric=summary|total_number_vms}-${this, metric=summary|number_running_vms}

0 Kudos
Nyphalin
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get it running. I was targeting all object types, not just datacenters. Thanks so much for the help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos