VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Should I keep the vApp for VCOPS ?

Hi,

I am new to VCOPS.

I have successfully import the OVA and configure the VCOPS on a standalone ESX host (As advised by other fellows).

When I add that ESX Host back to the cluster, I find that the vApp for VCOPS is gone (In other words, I only get 2 VM - UI VM & Analytics VM.  I just wonder whether it should be OK or not ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

TonyJK - the 2VMs will probably work OK until you stop them or network is reset, or some other event of the sort happens.

The "UI VM" needs to know the IP of the "Analytics VM", and it get's it thru the vapp metadata (which in your case is destroyed).

So if you have the DRS license, better enable it and redeploy the vApp so that all is OK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pgoel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How you are able to deploy standalone ESX since it will not allow. It should be under cluster which has DRS enabled.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is expected behaviour friend. When you deploy vCops on a stand alone host and then move that host back into your cluster it will destroy the vAPP and leave you with the 2 VMs (Analytics VM, and UI . This is the way it should be. A vAPP can not exist on a cluster without DRS per the nature of vAPPs.

Here is the KB article that describes the process:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201369...

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using vSphere Enterprise.  I have followed the instruction in that KB but not aware that it applies only to Essentail Edition.

Now I do get 2 VM in the Cluster.  Should I re-import the OVA or just let them be 2 VMs there ?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What license level of vSphere are you running? Do you have DRS enabled in your cluster? Just trying to figure out why you are pulling it into the cluster this way.

Normally you would do this if you have a vSpehere license that does not allow DRS in the cluster. If this is not the case then you should start over and import the vAPP on a host that already exist in a DRS cluster.

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We get the Operations Manager Advanced License (25VM).  Yes, the cluster is DRS enabled.

Initially, I think we have to get Operations Manager installed on an ESX host outside the cluster.  In this way, I just remove one from the cluster and get Operations Manager imported to it.  After set up, I just add back that host to the Cluster.

Regards,
Tony

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you have DRS enabled in your cluster then you are running an Enterprise license of vSphere and you should deploy the vCops vAPP to a host within your cluster.

The KB article is for people who do not have DRS functionality which is a requirement of vCops.

gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

TonyJK - the 2VMs will probably work OK until you stop them or network is reset, or some other event of the sort happens.

The "UI VM" needs to know the IP of the "Analytics VM", and it get's it thru the vapp metadata (which in your case is destroyed).

So if you have the DRS license, better enable it and redeploy the vApp so that all is OK

0 Kudos