VMware Cloud Community
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing/Adding guest in VCOPS 5

I'm trying to remove the old VCOPS 1.0.1 server from reporting in VCOPS 5. I've already deleted the guest from vCenter and rebooted the Analytics VM and UI VM four times now.  I've also added a new guest since the install, and it's not showing up in VCOPS 5. What needs to be done? Do I have to go into the postgresql database and manually remove and add guests?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have to apologize. I had a meeting today with our VMware Rep and SE about some issues in our environment and I floated the question for you and these guys confirmed that vcops-custom is a function of Enterprise only.

The good news is that you have no issues with your license! The bad news is that I have no idea how to help you check your adapter discovery settings in Standard.

To your original question I might point to the fact that you are already using all 75 of your licenses BUT in our Enterprise deployment I am also currently under licensed and that doesnt stop us from seeing additional resources.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe I should add more to this post...

I can see the cluster, the host, and the datastore but not the newly added guest...

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have autodiscover enabed on the adapter instance?

Have you waited a day or so (I think it only checks for new resources once aper day).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It has been longer than a day.

I'm not familiar with autodiscover on the adapter instance. Where can I find out if it's enabled or not? The VM is a RHEL 5 server.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I hate to say it but we had the same issue after migrating from 1.0.1 ...

For us the old data was not that important as we were adding 5 additional sites that were starting from scratch after moving from Standard 1.0.1 to Enterprise 5.0. After working with tech support our agreed solution was to scrap the install and start from scratch.

Although this solution might not work for everyone it cleared up all those duplication issues we were seeing. We had to chose between roughly 30 days to rebuild the DT baseline for that datacenter or 60 days of headaches to troubleshoot Smiley Happy.  When VMware support backed our decision to rebuild it became a no brainer.

0 Kudos
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, we have too much critical data to just start a clean slate.

I had an idea last week to reboot the hosts with the missing guests.  It may correct the problem...?

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, a few more details please.

Did you migrate from 1.0.1 to 5.0?

You have unregistered and deleted you previous instance of 1.0.1?

The account you are using for discovery in vCenter has appropriate permissions on the guest you are trying see?

Do you see the guests at all and it just isn't collecting data of the guest doesnt appear in vCops at all?

If you migrated data from an older version and changes to the environment are not seen since the migration it sounds like your collector account may be having issues over the objects in question.

If you recently performed a migration this may be helpful to you as well. Before we started over this helpled fix some collection and reporting issues we were seing.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201336...

Also, to follow up on what mcowger was saying, I think he meant to check auto-discovery on the adapter instance. To do this:

1. Log into vcops-custom

2. Go to Environment - Configuration - Adapter instances

3. Double click the adpater instance that host the resource in question

4. Makesure that the Auto Discovery for the instance is set to True

Good luck!

0 Kudos
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you migrate from 1.0.1 to 5.0? Yes

You have unregistered and deleted you previous instance of 1.0.1? Yes

The account you are using for discovery in vCenter has appropriate permissions on the guest you are trying see? Yes

Do you see the guests at all and it just isn't collecting data of the guest doesnt appear in vCops at all? The new guests don't show up at all.

When I try to log into vcops-custom, it says "This product is unlicensed. Use a vSphere Client to connect to the vCenter Server and assign a license key." We have a vCOP Standard license.  Do we have to have a vCOP Advanced license in order to access this?

Also, I have already run that script on the Analytics guest, would I have to run it on the UI guest as well?

Thank you

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The script is for the Analytics VM only.

https://yourvcopsserver/vcops-custom I believe is a feature of 5.0 and license version doesnt matter. I could be wrong but it sounds like something may be wrong with your license which could also explain the discovery issue ...... although I am under licensed by about 100 VMs at the moment and they were still discovered. Verify in vCenter that your license is configured properly and verify in vCops that the license matches.

https://yourvcopsserver/admin

clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed my vCenter from the vCOPS admin site and added it back in. This time it found my second vCenter instance and removed the old vCOPS server from the list!

Although, it is still not showing any of the new guests I have added. I tried getting into the vCOPS custom site, but still getting the same message: "This product is unlicensed. Use a vSphere Client to connect to the vCenter Server and assign a license key."

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you verify that the license in vCenter matches the license in vCops?

0 Kudos
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure how to check the license from vCOPS. When I open the admin page it says "License Status: Licensed"

I don't think that vCOPS 5 would accept a 1.0.1 license.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are correct that 1.0.1 license will not cover the functionality of vCops 5. When you performed the migration a new license key should have been entered into the vCenter server that you are connecting vCops to.

So,

1. log into the vCenter server that you connect vCops to

2. Go to your Home screen and click Licensing under Administration

3. View by: Product (default) and you should see a line item for vCenter Operations Manager 5 (Enterprise, Standard, Advanced)

4. Expand this line item and it will show you your license key, # of VMs assigned to the key, # of VMs covered by the key and when the key expires.

Does everything look right?

0 Kudos
clarkus978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. Everything looks fine. I have a license for 75 VM's and all 75 are assigned.

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, I have nothing else. If you cant start collecting again from a fresh install and you can't access the vcops-custom site to check your adapter discovery settings I am not sure what else to recommend. Please take a diag bundle and call VMware tech support. You have a pretty serious issue if you can not access vcops-custom from your 5.0 install because that is the guts of where you configure/manage the application.

If the you have a valid 5.0 license installed on the vCenter server that your vCops vApp is connecting to and vCops is still giving that error i'm not sure what would cause that.

Leave the thread open though as I am not an expert and maybe someone else can chime in.

vCenter Operations Editions - Feature Comparison

http://www.vmware.com/products/vcenter-operations/editions_comparison.html

I don't see anything there that would limit your access to the vcop-custom site but I could be wrong.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good Luck!

0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have to apologize. I had a meeting today with our VMware Rep and SE about some issues in our environment and I floated the question for you and these guys confirmed that vcops-custom is a function of Enterprise only.

The good news is that you have no issues with your license! The bad news is that I have no idea how to help you check your adapter discovery settings in Standard.

To your original question I might point to the fact that you are already using all 75 of your licenses BUT in our Enterprise deployment I am also currently under licensed and that doesnt stop us from seeing additional resources.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The licensing error that you get while accessing vcops-custom means that you have not assigned Enterprise license. With the advanced license, you can only access vcops-vsphere.

0 Kudos