VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Reclaimable waste has to be incorrect

Hi,

I have 4 hosts with 256 GB of RAM. One is slightly overprovisioned. The sum of all guest physical memory is 269 GB.

vCOPS is telling me that I can reclaim 418 GB on that host. For the other host the number is slightly smaller but still in the high 300GB mark.

As to the cluster, it says I can reclaim 819GB of RAM but the sum of guest physical memory is around 970GB.

What am I missing?

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can check by getting a report on the recommendations that vC Ops have on right sizing. Those big blocks with the reclaimable vCPU/vMem...just double click on them and you will be take to a report with right sizing recommendations. What does that report show ?

It should state the VM name, Current vCPU count, Recommended vCPU count, Estimate Mhz useage after right sized, mem...and so on.

Best you click on a cluster and then look at the report.

Also make sure you have set the Oversize settings correctly. Explainantion here : http://www.virtualclouds.co.za/?p=51

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

I never pay too much attention to the graph personally and look at the reports. Thing is people look at the graphs on the dashboard and and actually get the wrong idea.

In this example, I looked at host and dashboard claims that waste is 499GB. The sum of assigned RAM is around 238GB and the recommendation ads up to around 44GB so number should have been below 200GB.

I had a look at your blog and that is a great article. I looked at my settings and my treshold is 1%. I assume that this is the default.
My report is set to quarterly (again I assume this is the default).

Do I assume correctly that my VM will be listed as Oversized/Undersized if it is more than 1% of quarter over treshold?

With 1% setting things must be very skewed?

What are your recommendations for settings?

0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

AllBlack... I posted this in the past and got a vmware employee to comment that this was a known issue and was being addressed in next release. The point made was about MB and GB not showing up correctly in waste.

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Thanks.

I was just taking to a local VMware System Engineer and he was going to follow up with developers.

Cheers

0 Kudos