VMware Cloud Community
goldeneyez
Contributor
Contributor

'Provisioned" Metric is greater than Total Capacity , Why ?

Hi

I have found that this is the behavior which happening at my VMware environment:

Memory|Provisioned Memory (KB) > Memory|Total Capacity (KB)

CPU Usage|Provisioned Capacity (MHz) > CPU Usage|Total Capacity (MHz)

CPU Usage|Provisioned Capacity (MHz) > CPU Usage|Total Capacity (MHz)

Why Provisioned is greater than Total Capacity when we are referring to ESXi Server ?

basically according to VMware documentation , Provisioned means resources which we have configured , means how much resources we have configured.

and when focusing on ESXi Server then "WE" dont configure resources for ESXi Server , the Provisioned resources are the amount of resources which are exist in the hardware level , means how much physical RAM and physical CPU we have assembly on the MotherBoard of the computer.

I understand that when we are focusing on VM Machines then there is difference , because on the VM level we have the ability to configure how much RAM and how much CPU resource the particular VM Machine will be able to get.

so why I see differ values for the above metrics ?

thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TSands82
Contributor
Contributor

Total capacity is the amount of RAM or Mhz that the hosts have, you can put your hands on it.

Provisioned is how much resources you have granted your VMs, this is where you can over provision and is most often a good thing for storage as it grows over time. If you're finding that you're over provisioned on CPU, you may cause high CPU ready and need to lower the amount of vCPUs configured to your VMs. If you're over provisioned on RAM and a VM makes use of all of that RAM, it may page out to disk.

Total = Available

Provisioned = Given to VMs, but may not be available when needed (over provisioned).

0 Kudos