VMware Cloud Community
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with VCOPS - VCM intergation

Hi guys,

I have some problems with our VCOPS to VCM integration. Would like to seek your advice or help.

We have a deployed a VCOPS 5.8.1 vApp and VCM 5.7.1 (two-tier spilt install with MSSQL 2012) in our environment.

Initially we tried to register VCM to VCOPS with windows authentication but it do not work out. So we register it using SQL authentication. Tested the connection successfully and completed the registration.

This is what we have configured for the registration.

Display name: VCMDB

VCM server address: <ip address>

Port Number:1435

VCM database: VCMDB

VCM instance: <blank>

User: vcmconnect

Password: <Password>

Authentication: SQL Authentication

Domain: <Blank>

On the VCM, we have granted the SQL login datareader permission to VCM and VCM_UNIX databases. We also configured and scheduled the collection of vCenter virtualization data, compliance template run and compliance badge mapping run. We are able to see the score on VCM.

From the registration until now, no data is collected on VCOPS. any help?

We look at the collector.log at /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/log insecondvm-external and got the following error 2014-08-21 15:16:49,752 ERROR [Collector worker thread 23] (289) com.integrien.adapter3.util.DBUtil.openConnection - Got exception org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQL NestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted, Couldn't obtain connection from: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://<ip address>:1435/VCMDB;instance=VCMDB 2014-08-21 15:16:49,754 ERROR [Collector worker thread 23] (289) com.integrien.adapter3.vcm.VCMAdapter.onCollect - Unable to obtain vCM version, will try again java.lang.Exception: cannot connect to db         at com.integrien.adapter3.util.DBUtil.getVCMVersion(DBUtil.java:553)         at com.integrien.adapter3.vcm.VCMAdapter.onCollect(VCMAdapter.java:109)         at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collectBase(AdapterBase.java:644)         at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collect(AdapterBase.java:457)         at com.integrien.alive.collector.CollectorWorkItem3.run(CollectorWorkItem3.java:47)         at com.integrien.alive.common.util.ThreadPool$WorkerItem.run(ThreadPool.java:239)         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Message was edited by: chan82

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

Change sql authentication mode to mixed , it will authenticate sql and windows id .

0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ethan44,

I have already configure SQL server for Mixed authentication mode as stated in the thread. We have tested the connection successfully during the registration.

We are getting the problem after we completed the registration.

0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

We managed to resolve the above error but get the attached errors.

Any help?

0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

I have resolved the problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos
janya
Contributor
Contributor

HI chan82‌,

Can you share the solution which helped u resolve your issue with the integration.

thanks

Abhi

0 Kudos
chan82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Janya,

I followed most of the steps in the VMware documentation on the integration portion. During creating the connection in VCOPS, I input the following under Database Instance (Optional) section.

<Database instance name>,useNTLMv2=true

For the rest of the parameters, I filled up them as usual.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
HywelBurris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same issue,

Getting the error unable to get information from the SQL server: servername

unfortunately, adding MSSQLSERVER,useNTLMv2=true didn't work. see attached for error and config

tried so far:-

• removing fqdn from hostname (added search suffix in resolv.conf)
  • Never specify the domain as part of the user credentials
  • Never specify the FQDN of the Windows domain using NETBIOS name
  • point at the VCM database server
  • enabled SQL logins with test username and this worked but got a SQL Join error
0 Kudos
HywelBurris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Response from GSS

Database Host: <<SQL Server FQDN>>

Database Name: VCM;useNTLMv2=True

Database Instance (optional): Leave this empty

In User Credentials ensure you are using the Netbios name and not FQDN for Domain.

This is now giving me access to the DB but getting a SQL error. Will update with solution when received.

0 Kudos