VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Peak Values in vCOps reports

In the vCOps Advanced UI, under reports, some reports such as the Average/Peak Datastore Latency and throuput report, have "Peak" values such as "Throughput (Peak)".  Is this "Peak" a 95th percentile, or how is it calculated?  Is it the actual highest datapoint or are outliers excluded in some way?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Peak is highest observed. Not the 95th percentile, but literally the single highest data point observed from a collection. Outliers would only be removed if configured to do so via your forecasting settings in the configuration policy applied to objects, and would be reflected in capacity planning activities.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

OK thanks.  Even if the outliers are removed, would I want to use this metric as opposed to the 95th percentile?  Does it have practical benefit or should it really be used when you are attempting to plan for what the peak demand of a VM will be based on past history?  Or should I stay only with 95th percentile?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would stick with the 95th percentile for planning, but if you want to see peak demand for VM you can use that report. Depending how your intention is, that is where you'll need to decide if you want to do a 95th percentile of a single VM, or groups of VMs. If you do more than one VM, you need to realize you're getting the 95th percentile of the aggregate along a specific timeline instead of each VM independently (which is more valuable if you don't care "when" it's happening).

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
achvn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm OO0, with no access to my emails and will be back on Tuesday the 5th of November.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Alexis

0 Kudos