VMware Cloud Community
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

MIgrating the vCOps vApp

What do I need to do to migrate the vCOps vApp from one vCenter Server to another?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to perform a side-by-side migration to do it in a supported way. See the following KB:

VMware KB: Performing a side-by-side upgrade of the vCenter Operations 5.0 Appliance

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

OK.  Is using VMware converter not supported?

Also, in this case, I'm not upgrading, just migrating.  Should I use the same KB for this?

As far as the version - this article is for 5.0.  Does everything apply equally to 5.7?

What are the chance of losing data using this method?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Converter is not supported. We're doing a side-by-side because we need to ensure the vApp settings and vC Ops configuration properly reflects the vCenter upon which the vApp in running. This may seem like overkill for a vApp migration, but manually editing the shell files that contain registration settings on the Analytics/UI VMs is not supported at this point.

You'll keep your historical metric data, which is the bulk of what we're looking to migrate over. If you've got any customizations,etc, you'll want to make sure you have a backup in the event they don't make it over. And as always, make sure you back up your vC Ops vApp VMs as a roll-back in the event the migration doesn't go as planned.

I've used that KB for vC Ops 5.7 and didn't have any problems with the KB being outdated. If you want to review the migration path to verify all of your bases are covered, VMware support can help you out.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos