VMware Cloud Community
koit12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to make a custom group based on a regular expression?

Hi,

I have a case were I'm trying to group and make alerts on VMs that run in the wrong datacenter.

We have two datacenters and we want to make compliance alerts on a group of VMs.

Our VMs have a common naming model with a sequence number at the end.

VMs with odd sequence numbers shall run in datacenter 1 and VMs with even sequence number shall run in datacenter 2.

Our ESXi hosts have a specific number in their naming conventing that tells us the site. Eg. pse1.... & pse2...

To group the VMs I want to compare the VM sequence number with the site number on the ESXi host.

If a VM with an odd sequence number runs on an ESXi host with "2" as the site number, the VM becomes a member of the Custom group and gets a Compliance alert.

If a VM with an even sequence number runs on an ESXi host with "1" as the site number, the VM also becomes a member of the Custom group and gets a Compliance alert.

In vROps it seems like you only can use a regular expression to create symptoms, but not in a custom group.

How can I make a custom group and an alert that are able to include VMs with odd and even numbers in their names and compare them with the parent host name?

0 Kudos
0 Replies