VMware Cloud Community
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I change the minimum and maximum values on a metric chart.

Sorry, I am new to vCOPs and this is driving me crazy.  I searched the community and Google, but didn't find anything so thought I would post here.  I am looking at a VM in vCOPs and select the Operations - All Metrics tab.  I add CPU Usage | Usage (%) to the chart.  By default, the y axis is has a low of -40 and a high of 60.  Well, my CPU Usage % is never going to be less than 0% right?  It makes the graph hard to look at.  Also, I like seeing the usage with 100% as the maximum rather than somewhere just above where the high for the chart is.  Seems like there should be an easy way to change the y axis minimum and maximums but I can't seem to find it.  Can anyone show me what I am missing here?

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It does. There is no way to force it to a specific Y axis. For vC Ops, there is no concept of a "desired" min and max for Y axis in terms of display settings per-metric type. All data is dynamic and can be any value graphically speaking.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sure, zoom on the Y axis... click the "Y", then click a graph by click "Zoom All Graphs" or "Zoom to Graph".. drag on the graph and you'll see it zoom as desired.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Mark.  Unfortunately, I am not sure I am following exactly.  I can zoom in and out, and it does change the data points on the y axis, but does not make them 0 and 100 like I want.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It does. There is no way to force it to a specific Y axis. For vC Ops, there is no concept of a "desired" min and max for Y axis in terms of display settings per-metric type. All data is dynamic and can be any value graphically speaking.

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks for the answer.  Not what I was hoping for but if it can't be done, it can't be done.  Just different than the performance graphs in vCenter, where by default when you look at CPU usage, it shows the standard 0-100 range.  Makes it easy to look at the chart and see how close you are to hitting 100% utilization w/o having to look at actual values.

Thanks again.

Bob

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd suggest using colors in vC Ops. You can use green/yellow/orange/red, to highlight utilization levels in things such as generic scoreboard, heatmap, etc.

0 Kudos