VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Enable to add VMware Adapter instance

Hi all,

I'll try to add a new instance of a VMware Adapter. All information are OK (I have launched Test connection), but when I press OK, vCOPS says that VMware Adapter instance modification is allowed only from vCOPS Administration.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Francesco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not possible to add a vcenter adapter from the custom ui. It is only possible to add vcenters from the /admin UI. The name you assign will become your new adapters name in custom UI and it will become part of the WORLD after it completes registration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I guess you are using vApp deployment.

To regster new VMware adapter please go to Admin UI (https://<ip>/admin) and add a new VC registration. This will register the VMware adapter + do other registration stuff needed for vsphere-ui

Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alexander,

thank you for your answer. I'm using vApp Deployement. I try... but I don't understand why I must add a new VMware Adapter and after add a new instance...

Francesco

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alexander,

I tried to access the administration screen. I have the ability to add a new VC, but that's not what I asked.

I wanted to create a new instance of VMware Adapter to do some tests. I think it's possible, but I can not go on. I am the beginning and I probably did not fully understand the use of vCOPS.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Francesco,

Can you elaborate what you are trying to do?

If you want to monitor second VC instance (which is basically why you will need a second VMware adapter instance) then you should go to Admin UI and add a second VC registration. This will create a second VMware adapter instance visible in custom-ui.

ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not possible to add a vcenter adapter from the custom ui. It is only possible to add vcenters from the /admin UI. The name you assign will become your new adapters name in custom UI and it will become part of the WORLD after it completes registration.

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you to all answers. I try to explain what I wanted to do. I want to create a custom dashboard that controls only, for example, the datastore and, for them, only certain metrics.

I thought that I had to add a new instance of a VMware Adapter to customize the resources from which to retrieve the info.

Ultimately, then, when and why I must add a new instance of an adapter?

Thank you for your patience and excuse for my english 😉

Francesco.

0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As long as you have the registration completed (admin UI) then all data can be carved up within custom side. You could use adapter instance (which will be the name you gave the registering vcenter) then resource kind (datastore) then put together a dashboard using heatmaps or other approaches.

Registration to vcenter must come first then dashboards can be created from that data source.

My view is its just a different way to create an adapter for vcenter (only) which of course is now the main focus of vcops.

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. I have understood (I think... ;-))

Have a good day!

Francesco

0 Kudos