VMware Cloud Community
MMAgeek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Couple of questions regarding the different edition features

Hi, I have been comparing the differences between the advanced and enterprise editions on this page http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vcenter-operations-management/compare-editi... and i have the following questions:

Both advanced and enteprise include Hyperic, but only enterprise has the option "Monitoring of Microsoft OS, middleware, applications and Oracle databases**" Is this not what Hyperic does anyway? What exactly is the difference between the 2 if Hyperic is included in both editions?

Advanced has an option saying "Extensible to 3rd party datasources". Does this mean i can use 3rd party adapters such as one from LiquidwareLabs or do I need enterprise edition?

If i purchase enterprise edition does that include the functionality needed for monitoring VMware View or do i need to purchase ops mgr for view in addition?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey MMAgeek....

Both advanced and enteprise include Hyperic, but only enterprise has the option "Monitoring of Microsoft OS, middleware, applications and Oracle databases**" Is this not what Hyperic does anyway? What exactly is the difference between the 2 if Hyperic is included in both editions?

The difference is that only OS level metrics from Hyperic are available in the Advanced suite (think CPU, network, file system), while the Enterprise suite adds applications (think IIS, SQL and Oracle stats).

Advanced has an option saying "Extensible to 3rd party datasources". Does this mean i can use 3rd party adapters such as one from LiquidwareLabs or do I need enterprise edition?

Advanced suite and Enterprise suite both allow you to add 3rd party adapters.

If i purchase enterprise edition does that include the functionality needed for monitoring VMware View or do i need to purchase ops mgr for view in addition?

vC Ops for View is a seperate product, although it is using the same technology it is a seperate license purchase.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Clarifying with the Liquidware Labs Adapter for vCops either the Standard or Enterprise version will work fine.

Pete

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

While the Advanced version only give you base OS metrics,  can you not have it pull any perf metrics by adding them into the product?  So if I wanted to pull the Exchange Queues,  I would go to PerfMon, the get metric name and then custom add it to the server so that it will pull it?

I assumed the the difference between the Advanced and Enterprise license is that Enterprise comes with app specific monitoring packs?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos