VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Cannot view virtual machines in Resources List

I am unable to make my virtual machines appear in the "resources" list in Environment Overview in the Custom UI.  When I go through the "discover resources", it says that I have 15 VMs, but when I try to make the appear in the list, they don't show.  I want to add some VMs to a resource tag, but I can't see them in the list to add them.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Discover resources is for discovering/importing resources from an adapter. If your adapter is set to auto discover, they're already imported. If your not using autodiscovery and they're not imported, click off the import and collect checkboxes and pull those resources in. I'm not even going to jump to the conclusion there is a technical collection issue, since that is a different story and EXTREMELY rare for the VMware vCenter adapter.

If they're already import and collecting, you just need to view the resources in the Environment Overview tab. On the left hand tag list, go to "Resource Kinds" and select the RK you want.. the it'll list the resources on the right pane.

Once you have your resources on the right pane.. it sounds like you want to assign them to a tag that is visible on the left list of tags. Drag and drop the resources from the right pane, to the tag on the left list of tags.

And if the tag isn't visible in the left list of tags, go to the manage tags button atop the tag list and ensure your desired tag is selected with a checkbox making it visible on the tag list on the left (and in the tag filter lists in widgets, I might add).

*Note: I usually end up going here to make the Host System RK visible for the tag filter lists in widgets and grouping functions in the heatmap widgets. By default "Host System" RK is not visible in the tag filter list.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos