VMware Cloud Community
Cloudy_Lily
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Arquitecture with two versions of vCOPs management Suite

Hi,

I appreciate any help about this question. I have a client that want to upgrade from vSphere Enterprise to vSOM Enterprise  (with vCenter Operations Manager Standard.. by default).  This client has some virtual machines that need application monitoring.,  and as you know, this is possible witht vFabric Hyperic available in the vCenter Operations Manager suite Enterprise. So the customer is going to buy this two products:

- vSOM Enterprise:  vSphere Enterprise + vCenter Operations Management Suite Standard (licensed by CPU) ... for the upgrade.   And

- vCenter Operations Management Suite Enterprise (25 OS Instance pack) ... for the virtual machines that need application monitoring.

In the architecture, the question is if they can "mix" this two kind of license models in the same hosts, or if they have to put those virtual machines that need application monitoring in separated hosts? :smileyconfused:

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is possible to have two different instances of vC Ops registered to a single vCenter.  My recommendation would be to manage these two versions at the cluster level (Cluster A would be vSOM, Cluster B would be vC Ops Enterprise, for example).

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is possible to have two different instances of vC Ops registered to a single vCenter.  My recommendation would be to manage these two versions at the cluster level (Cluster A would be vSOM, Cluster B would be vC Ops Enterprise, for example).

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
Cloudy_Lily
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much..  As I imagined, in cluster. I just needed an expertise advice! :smileycool:

0 Kudos
Cloudy_Lily
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jddias for your answer.  I have a little doubt, this cluster architecture is the only way for the solution works ok?, If the customer don´t want to build this clusters, those two versions could work together in the same host?.. This is because those applications are heavy and mission-critical and he want to distribute them in different hosts.

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Cloudy_Lily wrote:

Thanks jddias for your answer.  I have a little doubt, this cluster architecture is the only way for the solution works ok?, If the customer don´t want to build this clusters, those two versions could work together in the same host?.. This is because those applications are heavy and mission-critical and he want to distribute them in different hosts.

That was only my recommendation.  If you want to monitor the same host with both editions you can do that, although you will need to limit collections to the VMs you wish to monitor with each edition.  That will give you an incomplete view of the hosts from each version - which is why I recommend doing this at the cluster level.

See this KB for more understanding of my recommendation:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103619...

"You cannot provide access to individual virtual machines because selecting a subset of virtual machines that share the same underlying physical layer results in a mismatch of metric values. For example, if a host has two virtual machines and you provide access to only one of the virtual machines, the host workload does not match the sum of the virtual machine workload because the sum accounts for only one virtual machine. VMware recommends providing the collection user access to all of the datastores and networks that are visible to the selected datacenters, clusters, and standalone hosts."