VMware Cloud Community
ScottThomson
Contributor
Contributor

Application Count - Best way to grab numbers

I got asked what's the best way to count the number of applications in the environment.  Mainly from a compliance point of view, makling sure no-one out there is installing things they shouldnt.

IE, how many SQL Standards, SQL Ent, Application X or Application Y.

I guess I could create something with SDDC to pickup on a service or possibly create a metric and attach it to a cluster somehow.

Has anyone achieved anything like this?  I might be overthinking it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@ScottThomson,

I used to do this by identifying type of applications such as APP, DB, WEB. What is used in the past was vSphere Tags or Custom Attributes, both are good options and you can then create views in Aria for Operations to use in reports/dashboards.

The good thing about both of them is that when the VM gets deleted, the tag and custom attribute goes with it so you do not need to modify your reports as the collection will automatically remove the entries.

0 Kudos
ramajay12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

use standard naming convention for SQL Standard, SQL Ent, Application X or Application Y servers or put in vm folder or put in specific cluster. and other solution given in above  (vSphere Tags or Custom Attributes,).

Jayendra
0 Kudos
ScottThomson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, its appreciated.

I was hoping to create something that was automated as some users seem to be a law unto themselves and I have a requirement to report on compliance.

I dont know if there is a way of checking installation directories, or checking processes which would be a start but I dont think overly accurate.

Ill keep playing and hunting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KabirAli82
Expert
Expert

I think there are other tools, like software management tools, out there that fit this job better then vROps. But if you have to use vROps then I think you will need to install the Telegraf agent on all your VMs and use a custom script that will check for all running processes and report that back to vROps. Unfortunately that reporting back has to be done via the vROps API. So it can be done, but won't be easy.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Braindumping @ http://kablog.nl/
Tweeting @ https://twitter.com/_Kabir_Ali_
0 Kudos