VMware Cloud Community
asyntax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alert will not clear in VCOPS

I have a handful of VMs where they triggered an alert in VCOPS (5.8.4). The alerts were legitimate. I resolved the issues (i.e. disk space, memory usage, etc) but the alerts will not clear. I can click

'Cancel Fault Alert', restart the VM, I updated the tools, but the alert still shows active.

I know I can suppress the alert, but I should not have to. The alert, along with similar alerts, should clear by themselves.

vm alert.JPG

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Events are events, not conditions. A condition implied there is a start and beginning. An event is just that - an event. You don't know when it's over. Events come from vCenter via the VMWARE adapter/solution.

A Fault is driven by an event and will not clear automatically. It must be cleared manually in vC Ops.

#5.8.4

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
asyntax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two points.

1. Why do some alerts automatically get cleared by VCOPS?

2. I can manually clear (cancel) the alert from VCOPS and it still shows up as an active Fault

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What version and edition are you using? They can be cleared straightaway via the Custom UI. The vSphere UI.. I know what you mean.. mixed results on clearing them depending on what version you're running.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
asyntax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enterprise Licensing Version 5.8.4 Build 2199700, I use the custom UI for other features, but everything I see is in the regular VCOPS interface.

0 Kudos
saurabh_agr001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In one of my custom adapter development, I am creating the event by using the following API

ExternalEvent event = EventFactory.createSystemDegradationEvent(time,fault_details,ALERT_CRITICALITY_LEVEL_WARNING,false);

Here I am trying to managed this event as internally (managedExternal=false).

So when any alert/fault is getting cleared from the Virtual Environment, so that become incative on vCOps dashboard.

But that alert/fault is not getting deleted from vCOps permanently.

Regards,

Saurabh Agarwal

0 Kudos