VMware Cloud Community
RobertWLSEG
Contributor
Contributor

Accounting for Cluster reservations in dashboards

Hi all,

I'm creating some dashboards in our vROPs 6.6 environment and need to account for HA cluster reservations in the data I'm presenting. Example, I want to show the physical number of pCPU in a cluster (easy, at a cluster level - cpu|allocation||Current Size), then I want to show the number of vCPU allocated on powered on VMs in the cluster (again easy, at a cluster level, summary|Number of VCPUs on Powered Om VMs), but here is where I am stuck, we have a 1:1 allocation of pCores to vCPU, so I want to show how many more vCPU are free to be used by new VMs. Clearly, I need to factor in any HA reservations (we typically run 1 spare node, so 33% Memory and CPU reservation in a 3 node cluster). I haven't been able to find any capacity remaining metrics that work on a 1:1 ratio, (cpu|AllocationCapacity Remaining Value works on an over-subscription model based on current demand).

So I'm left with the issue of being unable to present the data as we need it, does anyone know if I can grab this HA reservation % for memory and CPU, I could then easily apply a multiplication factor in my SuperMetrics?

Any help or advice massively appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

We do what you are trying to do.

This is our capacity remaining in a 3 node 1:1 allocation model as you can see it has a 33.33% ha buffer automatically added and this is auto calculated when we add ot remove hosts

pastedImage_0.png

To do this we dedicated a host for HA in vcenter and in the policy we checked the High Availability check box

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
RobertWLSEG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Many thanks for the reply, but the question was more around the availability of the cluster reservation metric so that I can manipulate my SuperMetrics rather than the actual process of making the reservation in vCenter.

Best Regards,

Robert.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Would i be correct in saying you want to create the SM because you dont want to set the dedicated host for HA in the vcenter but the capacity remaining in vrops will still drop out one host

0 Kudos