VMware Cloud Community
rmitchell1028
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Automation 8.10 - Multi-machine blueprint scale out

At my wits end on this, and I'm probably missing something simple:

vRealize Automation 8.10.1

I have a blueprint that deploys four cloud.vsphere.machine entities, one of which is a "multi-machine" that uses the count property to define the number of systems of this particular type to deploy.  The blueprint has two inputs, one that defines the value for count property and one that is fed from a vRO workflow that defines a list of prefixes for all of the systems in the deployment.  This workflow checks if another deployment is using one of the prefixes and makes sure it doesn't show up in the list for other deployments.

The issue I'm running into is when I want to change the number of systems provisioned for the multi-machine entity.  In vRA 7 is was easy to just use the scale-out/scale-in Day 2 function, but that doesn't exist in vRA 8.  The only way I can find to increase or decrease the number of systems is to change the user input by updating the deployment.  The problem I run into is that this fires the vRO workflow for the prefix list, and since the prefix is used (by the deployment I'm trying to update) I can't reselect it and so I can't proceed.

So basically I need to know if there's a way to change the count property or scale out/scale in this multi-machine entity without having to provide the other prefix input?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rmitchell1028
Contributor
Contributor

This was a good direction, and it sort of works.  I can add additional machines and they show up.  The problem I then run into is that it doesn't seem to trigger Event Topic subscriptions (I have workflows that run on Compute Allocation and Compute Post Removal that don't fire for these new machines).  Also, they're deployed as Cloud.Machine instead of Cloud.vSphere.Machine.

I'll keep digging with this, but if there's any additional direction/information anyone can provide it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

*disregard the part about the subscription not firing... they are, but because I had the subscription filtered to a specific blueprintId and that wasn't being passed in, it wasn't catching it.

0 Kudos