VMware Cloud Community
gurun72
Contributor
Contributor

Automate Windows Failover Cluster / MSCS

Hi, I'm looking to automate the installation and config of MSCS/Failover Cluster on our standard Windows cloud template - but can't find any info on this - has anyone attempted ? Would just like to keep the assigning of Cluster IP addresses within the automation team so as not to intrude onto our Network Profile IP ranges 🙂 .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@gurun72 Of course there is one-liner PowerShell cmd available to install the Failover Cluster feature that could be leveraged after VM deployed via cloud template and another one-liner to create a cluster, but since the Cluster IP is the prerequisite for this, you'll have to integrate your IPAM Provider (if external) with vRA to be able to obtain the IP address for your cluster.

You can obtain a provider-specific integration package from your IPAM provider's website or the VMware Marketplace for IPAM integration.

Regards,

Shen

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
SteskaljGE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Run Install-WindowsFeature –Name Failover-Clustering –IncludeManagementTools on each node. Then run New-Cluster –Name MyCluster –Node Server1, Server2 –StaticAddress 192.168.1.12 -NoStorage on the primary node. I would wrap this in a vRO action with the input of the cluster ip address.

0 Kudos
gurun72
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Steskali,can the (presumably pshell) code be inputted within vRO - I was under the impression one needed a powershell server configured.

0 Kudos
gurun72
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Shen, we don’t have an IPAM but happy for the automation team to keep a log and have control.

0 Kudos
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@gurun72 I do not think you need an dedicated PoSH server configured for this. Like @SteskaljGE mentioned you could wrap this with Cluster IP as a input using vRO action or might as well ABX Action in case of vRA 8.x.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos