VMware Cloud Community
Jac_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRealize Server Deploy Blueprint to Multiple vCenters

Hi All,

I am currently looking at creating a blueprint to provision new server builds in our environment.

We have two vCenters, one for our development environment, and one for our production. Rather than having two separate blueprints for provisioning servers depending on the environment, I have created the environment as an input parameter on the catalog item.

So far, I have got the server naming aspect complete, where the server name is given depending on environment/server type, however I am a bit stuck on pointing the clone operation to the correct vCenter.

I have tried following a similar method to injecting the new name by feeding properties into the 'Update an Iaas Model Entity' workflow, but unsurprisingly this hasn't worked.

I would be grateful if anyone with experience of this could advise if this is possible, and if so, how it can be achieved.

Many thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Several ways to go about doing this. You can either show the location on the request form with "show location", or you can use reservation policies to steer the deployment to one environment versus the other. If you're using something like SovLabs Property Toolkit, this because a no-touch-vRO option because you just define the conditions you want (if location = prod then resPolId = xxx) and the logic is driven for you in the back end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Several ways to go about doing this. You can either show the location on the request form with "show location", or you can use reservation policies to steer the deployment to one environment versus the other. If you're using something like SovLabs Property Toolkit, this because a no-touch-vRO option because you just define the conditions you want (if location = prod then resPolId = xxx) and the logic is driven for you in the back end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
Jac_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it looks like the 'locations' are possibly going to be better suited for us. I haven't come across that yet - so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hopefully its not too difficult to configure!

I am going to try and follow this blog... do you know of any other resources? https://theithollow.com/2017/05/22/vra-placement-decisions-dynamic-form/

https://theithollow.com/2017/05/22/vra-placement-decisions-dynamic-form/

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It has certain "issues" that make it untenable in some situations. If you want to go for ease of use, I'd highly recommend you look at the Property Toolkit and check out some of the blogs on their site. They have a number of good walk-throughs that illustrate this exact type of thing.

0 Kudos
Jac_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice. I will try out the locations feature and if that isn't great, we'll probably get in touch with SovLabs for a trial.

Cheers!

0 Kudos