VMware Cloud Community
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize Orchestrator - SSH Login root and Keyauthentication

Hey guys,

i´m really new to orchestrator and have a problem.

In our environment we use a public private key authentication to access our esxi-hosts with ssh.

Password authentication is disabled.

During our kickstart installation we install our public key on the esxi

When i connect manually with ssh to an esxi with putty i have to login as root and after that i have to provide the passphrase for the keyauthentication.

Is there any way to model this process in the orchestrator?

I Just found some ssh methods provided by vmware like "sshsession.connectwithpassword", "sshsession.connectwithidentity" and "sshsession.connectwithpasswordoridentity"

But none of theese works.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You'll first need to run the ssh workflow "Generate Key Pair" then run "Register vCO Public Key on Host" to register the key.  After that you should be able to run workflows against that host using keys instead of username/password.

0 Kudos
MaxB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your fast reply!

Is there a way to use a pre-generated Keypair?

We have a key installed on over 600 ESXi-Host ...

When we authenticate with our private key and passphrase we have to do this in root-user context.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you run an ssh command you can specify a key file.  The default location is ../server/vmo/conf/vco_key but that can be overridden.  So you could edit that file or deposit another key file in a spot that the is accessible to the orchestrator services.  You will also need to make sure that your js-io-rights.conf file is setup to allow access to the file if you put it in somewhere outside of the applications default accessible areas of the file system or on file share.

0 Kudos