VMware Cloud Community
EdSp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO: synchronize only does parameters, not description?

Hi all,

I have Action elements in my workflows. When I change an Action, the behavior of the workflow where it is used will change accordingly. That is great.

However, when I change the description of an Action, it won't be reflected in the workflow; it will still show the 'previous' description for the Action element.

Is this 'by design' or a possible bug?

I would prefer the Action item in the workflow to reflect any change to the Action itself, just like a code change will.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

When you drop an action element in a workflow, it creates a workflow item that is kind of snapshot/copy of the action. When you make modifications to actual action, eg. add an input parameter or change description, these changes are not reflected in the snapshot item.

I think this is by design. Arguably, it can be viewed also as a bug, but at the moment I'm not aware of any plans to change this behavior.

0 Kudos
EdSp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ilian.

Just double checked, but I see that when I change the source code of an Action, it does impact the workflow where that Action is used.

So if I was to change the logic of the Action (and change the description of the Action accordingly), I would prefer to have the description change reflected in the workflow as well.

Current behavior of vRO on this is a bit inconsistent it looks. Maybe this is changed in vRO 7? Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Ed

PS Actually, in the workflow you can click the action and choose to synchronize the parameters. That is probably because they are 'part of the snapshot' as you said earlier. So the code changes are reflected straight away, and the parameters can be synchronized. That leaves the description, for which there is no option to 'synchronize' it. The only option to get it reflected in the workflow now is to replace (remove/re-insert) it. That introduces a risk. I feel this is a bug whatever way we look at it.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, I'll open a PR to consider this for next vRO release.

0 Kudos