VMware Cloud Community
EdSp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRO package export/import using REST API but what about rebuilding a package?

Hi,

I can export and import a package using the REST API. The package is made up of all workflows in a certain project folder.

This is great, but when we make e.g. another workflow in our project folder, it is not automatically part of the package. That reduces the value of being able to schedule an export of it, as it would still need that manual interaction.

Is there a way to do (automate/CLI/REST/...) this?

Thanks!

Ed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

REST API for package management (adding/removing elements to/from package, rebuilding a package, etc.) are planned for next vRO release - vRO 7.1 (or whatever version number it gets).

View solution in original post

8 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you are right, the creation and modification of a package is currently not exposed via the API unfortunately.

I am not aware of any workaround for that part of the development process.

There is a way to create and modify packages programmatically once the workflows are already exported to files (by using the maven archetypes that are part of the plugin development kit, check the "develop with vro" link on the vro server's splash screen), but even for that you at least have to export the workflow to file manually from the vRO client first.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

REST API for package management (adding/removing elements to/from package, rebuilding a package, etc.) are planned for next vRO release - vRO 7.1 (or whatever version number it gets).

Hazenet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I hope the new/next version of the API also will give the possibility to control the permissions of the exported package.

0 Kudos
EdSp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Ilian, let's see what the next version of vRO brings!

0 Kudos
DDinu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I could find the api to export and import the package, Am I missing the option for rebuilding the package ?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

POST  https://{address}:{port}/vco/api/packages/{packageName}/rebuild

Replace {address}, {port} and {packageName} with the actual values of vRO server hostname/IP, vRO server port, and package name, respectively. On success, this REST API call should return HTTP status 202 ACCEPTED.

jdittric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That API URL was the right hint. Thank you. I just found the Swagger UI /vco/api/docs/index.html#!/package-controller/packageDetailsUsingGET, that one gives some more detail, because the rebuild is not even documented in https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Orchestrator/7.5/com.vmware.vrealize.orchestrator-develop-web-se...

I've one more question: Is there also a way to get the export as a "Expand to folder" view? The pack...

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This can be done via a command-line tool, not via REST API call.

The tools is available as a Jar file in vRO standalone appliance at /usr/lib/vco/downloads/vco-repo/com/vmware/o11n/tool/vco-cli-java/{vro-version}/vco-cli-java-{vro-version}.jar

0 Kudos