VMware Cloud Community
burivay
Contributor
Contributor

vRO HTML5 Interface Needs Folders

I have checked out the HTML5 interface for workflow editing and design, and I really like the interface for developing workflows and working on scripts. However, I am having a really hard time navigating my workflows. In the Java client, I have the workflows organized in a folder structure that makes it easy for me to find workflows I'm looking for, and unfortunately this does not translate over to a tag-based structure. I don't have anything against tags, but I find that I can't remember the names of all the tags (which were previously folder names) and so I'm unable to find a workflow if I don't know its name or a tag that it might have on it. It's also not possible to nest tags in a hierarchical structure, which is something I've made extensive use of in the old Orchestrator.

Over the years, I've created many smaller utility workflows that are sometimes used in other larger workflows. I don't remember the names of all these workflows, but they were still organized in the folder to which they belonged, but now it seems like they are floating in a sea of workflows when I log in to the HTML5 interface. I may get used to this over time, but folders seem like something that are easy to include and very powerful. I'd love to see them return in the new interface.

5 Replies
GeiAll
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I totally agree that folders needs to come back.

But I would like VMware to fix alot more than this, there is so many things bad with the new client. (And yes, there is many goods things to).

We currently have 3 cases going with Vmware support about bugs in vRO 7.6.

But in general I would like this fixed:

- Bring folders back. Tags are nice. But it's hell to find anything unless you actually know what to search for. For anybody comming as a new user it's now even more confusing and harder to learn.
- Adding multiple actions or workflows inside a workflow is now a pain. It was so much easier when you could select in the folder.
- Tags are nice, but you are missing the "NOT CONTAING TAG/EXCLUDE" in the search! 
- If you want to only have TAGS, atleast have the options to ADD all workflows/Actions with a TAG. (Hint: Try granting access to a set to workflows/actions to a group, you have to search for every workflow/action). Before you could just set in the rights on the folder...
- Speed (when accessing groups!)!  Fix that damn problem related to multiple AD groups with only execute access to workflows and actions! - Waiting 3 minutes for the gui to load...
- "Waiting for input" activites.. Where is the "Delete/Cancel workflow?" 
- Give a decent size of the scripting window. (no I do not need 80% of the screen to be uninteresting stuff when I'm developing).

I know there is an option to use VSCode/GIT and so on as an editor who can fix some of these problems, but think it's abit slow to run a workflow/action when you want to test.

We are sticking with old legacy client for now. And hopefully it's a decent version before we need to upgrade to 8.x (or replace vRO/vRA with something else)

chr1s86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agree, we need Folders back!

In vRO 7.6 I still work with Java Client, mostly because of the Folders.

Blog: http://vblog.hochsticher.de/
manfriday
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Completely agree.

The new HTML interface in infuriatingly bad. I'm not sure who looked at the hundreds of workflows tucked neatly into a folder structure and thought "hey, this would be even better if it was a flat list of boxes."

The deprecated the very nice java client far too soon.

0 Kudos
randomname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably the same people who looked at the C# client and said, "Hey, you know what would make this better? Adobe Flash!"

manfriday
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will say that the new additions they made to search functions in version 8 do help a lot. They add back some of the contextual clues that were lost when moving to a flat list of boxes. It makes searching far easier, though still not as good as a traditional folder structure.

Probably better get used to it. They don't seem too interested in creating a folder style view.

0 Kudos