Environment Setup

1. vRealize Automation 7.0

2. vRealize Orchestrator 7.0 that comes with vRA

Blueprint and custom workflow configuration

1. Created a blueprint that provisions a Windows Server VM

• Blueprint has already been published
  • Able to provisioned VM from Service Catalog with no problems

2. Created a custom workflow to update the properties of the provisioned VM

When I try to run the "Assign a state change workflow to a blueprint and its virtual machine", I was not able to select the blueprint that I have created in vRA.

Anyone has the same problem and how can we resolve this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vRA 7 no longer uses the the assign a state change. Everything has moved to the event broker now.

If you want a walk through check out this blog post.

Enabling the Event Broker           

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vRA 7 no longer uses the the assign a state change. Everything has moved to the event broker now.

If you want a walk through check out this blog post.

Enabling the Event Broker           

0 Kudos
GBrown1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, to resolve this - run the "add vRA host" workflow from vRO and specify the vRA tenant.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is recommended to only use the Event Broker for tasks like this moving forward. Those workflows and ties into the old way are going to be deprecated and as such will break much of the work you do in this manner.

0 Kudos
GBrown1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I defiantly agree that it is better to use the new method of doing stuff in vRO and vRA.

But, like anything new – this is not very good documented and there is not many examples and blog post out there.

I had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago (post here) and it was very hard to overcome the steep learning curve of vRO when all the examples and guides are for the old "assign a state change…" method.

So, try to use the new extensibility and subscription method of doing stuff but for quick-wins you can still use the "state change workflows" just know that this will soon be deprecated.

Another tip – download the example package from Gary blog (virtualgcoburn) - Enabling the Event Broker and read this post. It saved me lots of time.

Also be sure to follow the links that Mads Fog Albrechtslund post in my original thread.

wllp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you virtualgcoburn. I will read up and try the Event Broker.

0 Kudos
wllp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have already ran the "add vRA host" workflow from vRO but still having the same problems. But moving forward, I think Event Broker is the way to go

0 Kudos
future2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

As suggested by previous entries the EB is the method of choice going forward.

That being said the Assign state change workflows and WFStubs function perfectly in vRA 7.0.

When selecting a blueprint ensure you select one from the Administration > Composite Blueprints folder. If you have issues seeing the blueprints in this folder then double check that the user you used when registering a vRA hosts in the plugin configuration has tenant admin rights.

Cheers

0 Kudos