VMware Cloud Community
pankaj1977
Contributor
Contributor

vRO 7 Action Execution logs

Hello,

I have an action in vRO 7 and I am executing it using REST api. the the action script I have multiple system.log statements.

I am not sure how I can get this logs extracted as need top check the Action execution/run status as well as messages in it.

I could see that in VRO 8 we have an option to fetch run details and logs for specific executionID but vRO 7 do not have such option.

Could anybody please help me with this Action execution logs extraction in vRO7?

Thanks

Labels (1)
  • o

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert

On the appliance:

/var/log/vco/app-server/scripting.log

0 Kudos
pankaj1977
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you xian, but I am looking for REST endpoint like workflow execution log which I can attach to the email.

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert

Hi

I think on vRO 7 the best you'll be able to do is maybe use this control-center API branch

eoinbyrne_0-1636648179082.png

You can see there that the /tail or /stream calls *could* be used to get log content from the live logs. However, you'd be left with parsing / conventions (e.g. log statement prefix & a time window context) to identify the log lines you want for your use case. 

This API mostly operates on the same content as the log file suggested by @Xian so apart from being able to access it programatically, there's no clean way to get to the specific content you want.

You can add the controlcenter API as a REST endpoint in vRO but you would need credentials to access it & for production you would probably not want to use the 'root' account which normally provides access to there. I've never tried to add users with that privilege before but perhaps one of the VMware people on here can suggest if this can be done?

-HTH

0 Kudos
pankaj1977
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for suggestion. I gave up on this and added the action into workflow so that extract log in workflow.

Thanks and Regards,

Pankaj

0 Kudos