VMware Cloud Community
ssarav
Contributor
Contributor

vRA and Infoblox integratioin

HI

Has anyone implemented vRA 7.2 with Infoblox 7.3.4?

I am seeing an strange issue where IPAM IPs get allocated and released successfully but 'Update IPAM Records' workflow failing.

Infoblox setup created External workflow stub custom property to call "Update IPAM Records" workflow at the end but it doesn't seem to work.

VMware is suggesting to use event broker service instead.

Anyone has used either one method?

Thanks

Srini

1 Reply
SteveCSchofield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We evaluated infoblox and after some tinkering we got to work as designed, it took us a little while since we have an HA vRA environment.  We found limitations only being able to tie one domain to the registration when allocating to a single ip network.  Our requirement is mixing different OS's on a network, which were in different DNS domains.   We'll continue to monitor, I think Infoblox is doing some good work, they have a rich API and as the plugin matures, we'll look again.

We ended up using vRA for IPAM and script to register / deregister DNS records for now. We did use event broker two different subscriptions, two workflows and a script on powershell host.   I probably could make it streamlined, but the way we used it, our biz needs were met.   Sounds like a good blog article Smiley Happy  might need to do that. 

PS - our DNS infra is Microsoft.  The powershell cmdlets for dns made it easy.

for summary

• One event broker subscription tied to Requested running the add to DNS workflow, you'll need to fit conditions on the event subscription so your vm runs this script
  • One event broker subscription tied to the Destroy option running the remove workflow.  you'll need to fit conditions on the event subscription so your vm runs this script
  • A script on the powershell host both workflows calls
  • Add properties to add debugging information to each workflow on the blueprint to retrieve necessary data for the script.  I used a property group.   Here is an article https://extendingclouds.com/vrealize-automation-7-custom-email-notifications-with-the-event-broker/
  • Grant necessary perms on the DNS zone (Microsoft) to add / remove records

Hope this helps.

https://www.viktorious.nl/2016/10/12/automated-dns-registration-with-vra/    is a example.