VMware Cloud Community
Samarth94
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter server instance not in vRO inventory after successfully being added

Hi,

I added a vCenter server instance (version 5.1 vApp) on vRO 7.0.0 via the workflow: vCenter->Configuration->Add a vCenter Server Instance. The workflow runs successfully (see attached: vCenter instance added).

However, the vCenter is not added to the inventory and I am unable to see any host/cluster dropdown information while trying to run vRO workflows requiring information (about VMs or clusters) from the vCenter.

Please let me know why the vCenter is not being added, and what may be the solution for this issue.

Is this a problem with the vRO version 7.0.0 compatibility with vCenter 5.1?

Regards,

Samarth

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Samarth,

vCenter plug-in in vRO 7.0.0 supports vCenter 5.1 endpoints.

How did you registered it - using 'session-per-user' mode or 'shared-session' mode? What is your configured authentication - SSO, vRA/CAFE, or LDAP?

Also, could you provide the vRO server log files - mainly /var/log/vco/app-server/server log and /var/log/vco/app-server/catalina.log - or check yourself if there are any errors/exceptions in them?

0 Kudos
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need to run Register vCenter extension workflow as well so see it in the webclient.

0 Kudos
msk05
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Small correction, you would not be able to see the registered vRO in web client as it is not compatible one. Please refer this - VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm a bit confused - are we talking about vRO not visible in vSphere Web client, or vCenter not visible in vRO client inventory?

If the former, then you are right - web client integration plug-in that is bundled in vRO 7 does not support vSphere Web client 5.1

0 Kudos
Samarth94
Contributor
Contributor

The attached contain the information I entered while configuring the instance for the vRO workflow.

Also, the log files are attached. I did not see any particular errors (See the end of the files for logs regarding the workflow run).

Do you have any input from the above?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

On the screenshot vRO vCenter instance info.PNG the field labelled Will you orchestrate this instance? should be set to Yes

On the other screenshot, I see you have added root user as a shared session account. Are you sure this is the correct account for vCenter? There are some vim.fault.InvalidLogin and vim.fault.NotAuthenticated errors in server.log. Instead of root you should probably use an administrator account that can login to vCenter; eg. the administrator account used by vSphere Web client.

0 Kudos
Samarth94
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the value  for the field labelled 'Will you orchestrate this instance?' to Yes and the workflow ran successfully.

The login using root user also went through successfully and I was able to add the corresponding vCenter as part of the inventory on vRO.

I am now able to see vCenter related information (about VMs) in my vRO workflows.

Thank you!

0 Kudos