VMware Cloud Community
NiteeshM
Contributor
Contributor

vCO lock and Unlock on a particular workflow.

Hi,

A question on Locking. I am trying to use Infoblox pluging for reserving an IP and this workflow has to be executed only 1 at a time. hence I was wondering if I could use locking procedure so that any other request from vcac for this workflow must fail or queued for certain amount of time say ~10seconds.

I see that there are two main parameters required: Lock Id and owner.

Can I add the ID of the workflow in Lock Id and what would the owner be?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Doh. Dosn't the Infoblox plugin implement some kind of mutex internaly already? Are you sure you get duplicated IPs when you don't lock the workflow? However, Orchestrator has some basic locking functionality build in (search for "lock" within your workflows or LockingSystem within the vCO API browser) - I yet never used it but you should give it a look.

0 Kudos
NiteeshM
Contributor
Contributor

In the workflow "reserve an IP" there is a action "ConnectIPAMservices" which is being timed out for every couple of successful tokens (Keeping in mid this doesnot work for huge node deployments may be 50 at a time). That is because of the NIOS reset happening in the Infoblox which is taking about 7~10 seconds to reset. I am not aware of what NIOS reset does in Infoblox. I was wondeing if I could put a locking with delay in 10seconds so that the tokens wouldnt fail and wait for the delay 10seconds and the next token request gets a chance of executing the workflow.

I see there is a Locking workflow in vCO but really not sure how to implement it for a partiular workflow. It requires inputs like LockId, and Owner.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The owner can be any string. This field may allow you to identify who has locked an object but it is not mandatory to put the user name.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter