VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

questions on version 6 upgrade

Hello,

I’ve been reading all the version 6 release notes for the various vmware components and I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

1) Right now I have vCO installed on a separate windows server. Per the release notes, this method appears to be a dead end and I should get used to the appliance now. Correct assessment? Is vCO still installed with vCenter server when installed on windows?

2) In the 5.5.1 release notes, there was a mention of SOAP being deprecated but I see no mention of that in the 5.5.2 or 6.0.1 release notes. Is SOAP still there or only REST access? Has VMware changed their mind on removing SOAP?

3) To migrate all my actions and workflows from Windows (vCO 5.5.1) to the appliance (or another windows server as I’m planning to rebuild), is it simply a matter of exporting and importing them?

4) For initial configuration, the release notes again hint that the old method is going away. From what I can tell, only basic items (IP address and vcenter connection) are done through a web site. After that, I need to use the client and run workflows, correct? (Similar to the change that was done for the AD plugin a couple version back?)

5) I have a workflow which copies a file into the guest OS. This file is stored on a folder on the vCO server (Windows). Can this be done with the appliance or do I need to rework my workflow to get the file into the guest another way?

6) Can the vCO appliance work with an external SQL database?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

1) vRO windows installer is not bundled with vSphere windows installer. Technically, it is still available in 6.0 although I'm not sure if you can download it separately. So yes, better get used to the appliance.

2) Not sure why SOAP is not listed as deprecated in 5.5.2/6.0.1 release notes, but it is still deprecated. It is not removed yet so you can still use it, but the recommendation is to switch to REST (either REST Java SDK or raw REST API)

3) Correct. Perhaps the easiest way is to create a package, put all your custom workflows/actions inside it, and then export/import the package.

4) Yes and no. The old configuration Web UI is still there in 6.0. Plug-in configuration should be done via workflows. Server part of configuration (network/authentication/database/etc) in 6.0 can be configured via old UI and/or workflows.

The old Web UI will be kept for compatibility with partner plug-ins that haven't switched their configuration to workflows yet.

5) Should be possible also with the appliance.

6) Of course. Databases supported by the windows installation are also supported by the appliance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

1) vRO windows installer is not bundled with vSphere windows installer. Technically, it is still available in 6.0 although I'm not sure if you can download it separately. So yes, better get used to the appliance.

2) Not sure why SOAP is not listed as deprecated in 5.5.2/6.0.1 release notes, but it is still deprecated. It is not removed yet so you can still use it, but the recommendation is to switch to REST (either REST Java SDK or raw REST API)

3) Correct. Perhaps the easiest way is to create a package, put all your custom workflows/actions inside it, and then export/import the package.

4) Yes and no. The old configuration Web UI is still there in 6.0. Plug-in configuration should be done via workflows. Server part of configuration (network/authentication/database/etc) in 6.0 can be configured via old UI and/or workflows.

The old Web UI will be kept for compatibility with partner plug-ins that haven't switched their configuration to workflows yet.

5) Should be possible also with the appliance.

6) Of course. Databases supported by the windows installation are also supported by the appliance.

0 Kudos
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos