VMware Cloud Community
KyleWeir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

orchestrator vcenter inventory - critical issue

Okay, I have orchestrator setup and everything seems like it is working/good, I can do the AD authentication and all of the other bells and whistles. Now the only problem I have is that under inventory in the client the vcenter if I understand it correctly should have your vcenter and the servers as sub items. At the moment my vcenter doesn't show up in there, there is an icon that says "vCenter 4.0" but nothing else I have restarted the services and the server. deleted and re-instated the ssl cert as well as the vcenter connection. And have had no luck yet, it does connect to one of my esx servers via ssh, but that only gets me so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP!

Non of the workflows work because it can't find anything in the inventory to work with.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I might be asking the obvious, but did you specify where your VC is in the VC tab of the configurator?

0 Kudos
KyleWeir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes in the web configurator the vsphere/vcenter server is there. I have all Green as far as I can see on that side. I have even removed and resetup the vsphere/vcenter server as well. It is set for Secure mode, (SSL on port 443) which is the default. and it goes through without any errors. The SSL cert has been install/connected to orchestrator as well.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Open the Orchestrator web configuration and post a screenshot

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you restart the vCO Server after last changes in the vCO configuration (VSphere tab)?

0 Kudos
pwyzorski-wyzgu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually ran into a similar problem myself. I had installed a set of Java jars to support a custom built Plugin application that must have held incompatible class objects than the ones that shipped with Orchestrator. The files were similarly named, but not the same, for example; 'activation.jar' versus 'activation-1.1.jar'. The 'activation.jar' came with Orchestrartor. After I installing my Java jars and resetting the VMO server all my VC objects went away. Removing the jars and resetting the VMO fixed things. I haven't had time to debug it any further to triage which jars contained more recent versions.

Hope this helps,

~P

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When developping a plug-in, you can put all your Jars in the plug-in dar file / folder. Each plug-in has a separate Class Loader. If a class is not found in the plugin class loader, java will look for it in the upper classloader (the one from the server). If Java went up, he cannot go down in the same call stack.

So, double check you put all the Jars your plug-in need directly in it.

0 Kudos
pwyzorski-wyzgu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly where do we need to put the dependent Jars that our Plug-in requires? In the "./lib" folder in the ".dar" at the same level as our plugin ".jar" files?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Exactly

You can have a look at the vsphere 4 plug-in dar file.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I saw this at another customer. For some strange reason, parts of the configuration was in error but the configurator still showed green.

The issue there were:

1. the VC plugin credential was set with username: "domain\user_name". Since vCO is not domain aware, the user_name alone would do the trick.

2. the plugin tab: the user set there was not a part of the vCO admin group. It might also have been specificed with the above format as well.

Thanks,

Sia

0 Kudos
pwyzorski-wyzgu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll give that a try. By the way, are you referring to the VcPlugin dar or the SolarSystem sample dar?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The VcPlugin is one of the most complex plug-ins, with a lot of jars.

But you can see in any DAR files.

0 Kudos
pwyzorski-wyzgu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Yes, the DAR file is basically a zip archive.

0 Kudos
virtualDF
Contributor
Contributor

this helps me to resolve the issues.

0 Kudos
MiSadowski
Contributor
Contributor

Hello together,

I'm facing the same problem (same symptoms as first post). With alle the information I still not see any vCenter host in the inventory.

My license edition is a vcEssentials for product version 4.0

Do you have any hint for me. Thank you in advance.

Michael

PS: Sorry for my poor english.

0 Kudos
MiSadowski
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved.

After adding a vCenter host I have restarted the service by using the link within Orchestrator Web Configuration. Somehow this is not working. Restarting the service via Windows OS solved the problem and now the vCenter host is visible.

Michael

0 Kudos