VMware Cloud Community
chavanmu
Contributor
Contributor

logs are not display on 'logs' tab in Orchestrator client

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to execute workflow through Orchestrator client. Once execute workflow, logs which are put in worflow task are not display on logs tab.

Any idea or sugesstion guys?

Thanks,

Mukesh

0 Kudos
11 Replies
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It may be that the vCO server and the vCO client are not time synched.

Make sure you use NTP or the synchronization option in the VMX file.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
elleycho
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem that chavanmu ran into, however, the time sync is already set up for my workstation and the vCO appliance.

I verified that the time and timezone are in sync between client and server (UTC)

I am running vCO appliance 5.1.1.0

and even when a simple "Test Workflow" with Server.log("hi"); is executed, nothing shows up in the Logs or Events.

When looking at /opt/vmo/app-server/server/vmo/log/server.log on the vCO appliance though, I see the following:

2013-06-03 15:58:14.231+0000 INFO  [SecurityTokenServiceImpl] Successfully acquired token for user: user

2013-06-03 15:58:14.426+0000 INFO  [SecurityTokenServiceImpl] Successfully acquired token for user: {Name: user, Domain: System-Domain}

2013-06-03 15:58:14.439+0000 INFO  [Execution] Executing workflow 'Test workflow'

2013-06-03 15:58:15.510+0000 INFO  [SCRIPTING_LOG] [Test workflow (6/3/13 15:58:14)] hi

Would there be another cause that is not allowing me to see the Logs/Events?

Much appreciated,

Elley Cho

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I recall there was an issue with user permissions checking, leading to described behavior, but I don't remember what happened with it. I'll check with the team tomorrow.

-Ilian

0 Kudos
Sirry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update on this? I was about to post the exact same issue, but someone has beat me to it! I also do not have a time synchronization issue.

0 Kudos
radostin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi all,

This could happen also when the display name of the user who is running the workflow is more than 32 characters. In this case all server logs including the ones generated from the server as (Workflow has started, Workflow has finished) won't be saved and won't be visible. This bug will be fixed for vCO 5.1 U2 or vCO 5.5. In the meantime depending on the type of DB you can try to modify manually the according DB table. For example for MS SQL server the following script could be executed:

If the type of originatorUserName column is varchar:

"ALTER TABLE VMO_LogEvent ALTER COLUMN originatorUserName VARCHAR(200);"

or if the type of originatorUserName column is nvarchar:

"ALTER TABLE VMO_LogEvent ALTER COLUMN originatorUserName NVARCHAR(200);"

Regards,

Radostin

0 Kudos
elleycho
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks radostin for the response, however, the display name and username of the user(s) are (all) under 32 characters.

Are there any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Sirry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to solve this in a way you're not going to like... see what happens when you rebuild the appliance. I have no clue what I did different in the installation of my 2nd vCO appliance, but it seemed to work. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Zorgy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Does someone have any update about this issue? Except going through an rebuild of the appliance.

Thanks

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are 2 different statement used for logging in vCenter Orchestrator

Server.log() and System.log()

Server.log() - log messages logged are persisted into vCO database and are visualized in "Events"

System.log() - log messages logged are persisted in app-server/server/vmo/log/server.log file and are temporary visualized in "Schema"->"Logs" tab when workflow token is available.

Temporary means that messages logged with System.log are visualized in "Logs" tab only during current vCO clieint session. If the client is closed and then reopened messages from previous session will not be available in "Logs" tab .

Which statement do you use for logging?

.Where do you expect to see them?

0 Kudos
Zorgy
Contributor
Contributor

Both, at this time i try to get the result of a workflow in the client (events and logs tabs). I've got a positive result in my process, especially in app-server/server/vmo/log/server.log but nothing in the client.

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

could you provide example workflow you are testing with?

0 Kudos