VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

help with vco db connection on new install

Setting up a new vCenter server. Per the docs, it seems I should install vCO on a separate machine (but the DB will be on the same DB server as the vCenter DB)

I'm following the instructions and I'm not sure what to do at the DB setup part.

If I choose vDB as the type, i can't connect to anything (even though I created a DSN the same way I did for the vcenter server install)

If I choose SQLServer, I can connect but then am prompted to create the tables.

In my situation, should I be going with vDB or SQLServer and if it's the latter, is it normal to see the option to create the schema? (I thought it would have been done during the vcenter install)

I'm not expecting heavy use of vCO so I'm just wondering if it's worth it to install on a separate machine or just lave it on the vcenter machine?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

What you are describing, I think is mentioned here:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vcenter-orchestrator-51-install-config...

page 48 & 49

you establish a connection to the database from the configuration page, then it will ask if you want to create (new installation) or update the database (for an upgrade situation)

When you install Orchestrator, it needs a completely unique DB to use as a data warehouse.  When you created the Orchestrator Database, you basically made an empty DB ... so the installer is asking to setup all the tables as required.  This is normal.

Please ensure that when you setup the database connector for Orchestrator, it is NOT pointing to the exact same DB Name as vCenter.  they need to go to two totally different Database (even though both can be hosted by the same SQL Server).

FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was reading pages 48-49 in the docs.

If I understand correctly then, the vDB is only valid when running vCO on the same machine as vcenter?

I've been messing around with vCO on a test machine (vcenter and vco on same box with local sql express db) and I don't recall ever having to configure the DB initially or having to wait for it to be created. Does the instance that's insalled on the vcenter server handle all that when it's turned on for the first time or did it only work automatically because i was using a local sql express insatnce that was installed by the installer? Checking the DB it appears the tables for orchestrator were created in the same database as vcenter uses.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on so I get this installed correctly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
--Norton--
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Freddy

I think the following is the case.

If you install on the same machine as the vc and select the VDB option it should connect to the same DB as the VC DB as on installation the tables are automatically created but not populated for VCO.

As you have mentioned you can only do this if you use the orchestrator install on the VC.

If you are installing VCO on a separate server then you will need to create a separate DB on a server somewhere. This could easily be on the same SQL server as your VC DB is using but a different DB on it. You will need to grant DB permissions etc on the DB for it to use but once it connects it will need to create the schema, Tables etc as this is a fresh install in an empty DB. (not created by the VC install)

Hope this makes sense?

Norton