VMware Cloud Community
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cannot access web client or control center on 7.6

I have a problem with my 7.6 standalone vro appliance where I cannot access the control center or web client suddenly. Java client and the web page on port 8281 are fine. I've restored from backup and even created a new vro from ova as a test and they all seem to have the problem yet other instances of vro in our environment are still ok.

I agree that this would appear to be a network/firewall issue but if I go onto the appliance and run: curl -k -vvv https://localhost:8283 the connection doesn't get past the client hello. If I can't even connect to the port from the appliance itself then I would think the problem is within the appliance. Trying the same curl command to port 8281 works just fine.

Anyone see this before or have any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert

Have you rebooted the appliance recently? It's possible that the controlcenter service is not set to auto-start on reboot

If you SSH to the appliance as root and do this

service vco-configurator restart

Then wait a few minutes and try the controlcenter page again?

0 Kudos
GreenDotAdmin1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @aslk5 ,

Did you ever resolve this issue? We're seeing the same problem on our standalone 7.6 appliance. I deployed a brand new one and it doesn't on it either.

0 Kudos
GreenDotAdmin1
Contributor
Contributor

So I figured it out. After deploying 2 brand new appliances to our production environment and it failing to work I decided to deploy one to our corporate environment and control center loaded up just fine there. This made me think that maybe the appliances needed some kind of internet connectivity and they did!! I checked our FW logs and they were calling vcsa.vmware.com on TCP 443. Our production environment is pretty locked down so after I had that external access whitelisted the control center page on all the prod appliances now load. That's very disappointing that VMware would require internet access to load a configuration page. Even more disappointing is working with level 1 and level 2 VMware engineering and they didn't even think or know to check this.

0 Kudos
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Internet connectivity did have something to do with my issue as well as the value of CEIP.  It was weird because one day things were fine and a few weeks later it wasn't. Even restoring from backup didn't help.

VMware eventually solved the issue for me. If you want the fix...

Login to the appliance via SSH and run:

cp /var/lib/vco/configuration/conf/controlcenter.properties /var/lib/vco/configuration/conf/controlcenter.properties.bak

service vco-configurator stop

sed -i 's/ph-enabled = true/ph-enable = false/g' /var/lib/vco/configuration/conf/controlcenter.properties

/usr/lib/vco-cli/bin/vro-configure.sh controlcenter-update

service vco-configurator start

0 Kudos