VMware Cloud Community
ericr999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workflows that displays passwords

Hello,

Got an issue here, in some case, I need to get password out of a centralized password vault. These password can change overtime, so from time to time, I might have to do a System.log, to display the password. Not a lot of people have access to VRO, so its not a big security issue, but I'm also logging stuff out to our Syslog server. So the password will be in the Syslog server, not everyone has access to that, but its still an issue in case of a breach.

Is there a better way for me to retrieve the password, but without logging it to the Syslog ? Is there another technique I should use to display the password ? Normally, in my workflows that specific workflow is passing the password via a SecureString, but sometimes I need to get the password for some debugging reasons.

Anyone done that before ?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

What about writing the password to some file? The code below shows how to dump the value of variable 'arg0' to file /some/path/dump.log

var fw = new FileWriter("/some/path/dump.log");

fw.open();

fw.write("password: " + arg0); // 'arg0' is the SecureString variable containing the password

fw.close();

The code assumes that you have given write access permissions to folder where the dump file is stored in file /etc/vco/app-server/js-io-rights.conf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

What about writing the password to some file? The code below shows how to dump the value of variable 'arg0' to file /some/path/dump.log

var fw = new FileWriter("/some/path/dump.log");

fw.open();

fw.write("password: " + arg0); // 'arg0' is the SecureString variable containing the password

fw.close();

The code assumes that you have given write access permissions to folder where the dump file is stored in file /etc/vco/app-server/js-io-rights.conf

0 Kudos
ericr999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's a very good idea. Why didn't I think of that ?

Thanks Illian!

0 Kudos