VMware Cloud Community
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where is vRealize Orchestrator 6.0 ???

We want to upgrade to vRealize Autoamtion 6.2.

Requirement for this is the vCAC 6.2 plugin for vCO.

This plugin requires vRealize Orchestrator 6.0 which shold be availbale since Dezember 9. 2014

See also release notes of plugin:

https://www.vmware.com/support/orchestrator/doc/vcac-plugin-62-release-notes.html

VMware vRealize Orchestrator 6.0.0 (formerly vCenter Orchestrator) | 9 December 2014 | Build 2289455

Unfortunately i cannot find vRealize Orchestrator 6.0 for download anywhere on VMware pages.

Sounds like a chicken egg issue to upgrade to vCAC (vRealize Automation) 6.2

Anyone seen vCO 6.0?

Regards, Sven

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vRO external appliance is now available to customers logging a support request per this KB Article

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter

View solution in original post

23 Replies
gmuleshkov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Sven,

The vCO 6.0 is the version that is embedded in vCAC 6.2. The plugin is also available by default.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Georgi

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

... which could mean that vCO will not be included in the vCenter license anymore? Do you have some more details about this topic?

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Georgi,

if all is integrated in the vCAC Appliance and already embedded, then

why do they offer a separate dedicated vCAC 6.2 plugin for vCO? Doesn't make sense then.

There must be somewhere a vCO Appliance Version 6.0. Because not everyone uses the embeded Orchstrator of vCAC especially not in a distributed and productive environment.

Regards

Sven

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At the moment the only option to use an external vCO is to use 5.5.2 (this is supported). vCO 6.0.x stand alone will be released with vCenter.

There are internal discussions about releasing a vCO 6.0 stand alone version for customers requesting it. A decision on this should be taken in a few days.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
JMC13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any release notes for 6.0 yet? 

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vRealize Orchestrator Enhancements are included in VMware vRealize Automation 6.2 Release Notes

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the same workflow which ran under vCAC 6.1.x does not work anymore under vRA 6.2 in vCO 5.5.2.1 with Plugin 6.1. I get an error now at the API requestCatalogItem:

[Rest Composite Exception]:  ( [Rest Error]: {Status code: 400}, {Error code: 20117} , {Error Source: null}, {Error Msg: The data specified within the request is invalid.}, {System Msg: The data specified within the request is invalid.} )  ( [Rest Error]: {Status code: 400}, {Error code: 50505} , {Error Source: null}, {Error Msg: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected BEGIN_OBJECT but was STRING}, {System Msg: Infrastructure service provider error} )  (Dynamic Script Module name : requestCatalogItem#13)

I badly assume the new plugin 6.2 is required to have it work again.

Do you have any news if vCO 6 standalone (not the internal from vCAC 6.2) will be released soon to requesting customers?

Regards

Sven

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please report this issue to VMware support.

This may trigger a fix or work around for 5.5.2 / vCAC 6.1 plug-in or addressed with providing a stand alone 6.0 vCO.

Engineering is working hard on this stand alone release so customers who requires it before the next vCenter release can get access to it.

0 Kudos
sanchezs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Sven,

First of all, as Christophe recommends, please, report the issue to VMware support if you haven't done it yet.

And second, did you spend some time trying to troubleshoot the issue? From you error message it looks like some parameter is missing or it has the wrong type. Did you manage to find out which one?

I'm asking that because so far we are aware of some possible problem with the property "provider-VirtualMachine.Disk0.Size" (which type changed from 'decimal' to 'string'). But this issue was from a previous release, and you can see a note here How to use and extend the workflow "Request a catalog item" from the vCAC plug-in for vCO (Edited (10/31)) about how to fix it.

We start to think that the issue that you are facing could be a similar one... but we still need to investigate more. Sorry that we can't provide you more information at this point.

Edited: I re-read again your comment where you say "Unfortunately the same workflow which ran under vCAC 6.1.x does not work anymore under vRA 6.2 in vCO 5.5.2.1 with Plugin 6.1. I get an error now at the API requestCatalogItem", and I have a couple of questions:

- Are you trying to invoke the workflow to request a catalog item from a vCO 5.5.2.1 (and the right plug-in 6.1) against a vRA 6.2 instance?

- Do you get the same error (if you haven't tried it and you could try it), invoking the same workflow from the vRA 6.2 embedded vRO 6.0 (and the default plug-in 6.2)?

Sergio

0 Kudos
VMrandy2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I really don't understand the logic here.  So if I have chosen a distributed environment I cannot upgrade to vRealize 6.2 until vSphere 6.0 is released?

I suppose one could take the same route as the vPostgres DB VM and deploy the vRealize appliance, turn off services for vPostgres and vCAC and use it as a vCO VA. Supported?

I supposed the RC version of the vCO appliance would also work?  It's versioned at 6.0.  Just an earlier build? Supported?

I am truly baffled why VMware would put marketing dollars and hype behind vRealize Automation, and then hold back the one key piece that would allow a supported distributed installation.

Unless I have missed something.  Please tell me I have misunderstood...

-randy

0 Kudos
svenherren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sergio,

thanks for your answer. I opened a case.

I have to commit i didn't investigate in the parameters errors yet. The reason for this is just simple. I expect an API to run and behave the same way in a new version as before otherwise the api should get a new name. The exact same workflow (no changes at all) ran at the call to requestCatalogItem under 6.1.1 and now under 6.2 it's showing this error. I use now vRA 6.2 (before vCAC 6.1.1) and vCO is 5.5.2.1 as external appliance and the plugin versions are

vCloud Automation Center 6.1.0.2073620

vCAC Infrastructure Administration 6.1.0.2040915

i changed the type in provider-VirtualMachine.Disk0.Size to string. But same behaviour. I'll have to investigate there and probably have to adapt the code. But actually i think it should work as before without changing code. my opinion.

Unfortunately i cannot test (or better said it's too much effort) using internal vCO 6 of the vCAC appliance. There are too many dependencies and subworkflos and configurations i would have to port from external orchestrator to the internal one. But have you seen this at VMware Social Cast. Message 22798257 looks interesting and promising. I'll give it a shot as soon as i get the files.

Your article about requestCatalogitem is great. I used it as a reference for the workflow at this time. Thanks BTW.

Regards

Sven

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Randy,

The logic behind not offering vCO 6.0 as a separate appliance as I understand it is the following:

vRO/vCO is ATM released both with vCenter and  with vRA/vCAC. There is a Windows and an appliance build for vCenter. There is a vRA appliance build. For vSphere there is a major release and 3 minor releases. Each has a different build version. Each build may have different versions of the plug-ins. This ends up confusing our customers and consuming a lot of vRO engineering resources on supporting all these versions + compatibility with different vCenter / vCAC / other orchestrated technologies versions..

To limit the number of vCO build versions the engineering team tried as much as possible to include the same build in vCAC appliance that the one in vCenter. Unfortunately this did not work well as vCenter / vCAC tight integrations had different requirements / fixes.

Since vRA 6.2 does support vCO 5.5.2 has an endpoint the logic was that if you had a distributed environment you could still use the external vCO servers with the newer vRA.

Unfortunately some of the issues reported very recently with the vCAC plug-in for vCO 5.5.2 using vRA were not foreseen (or maybe it was assumed that the 6.2 vRA plug-in could work on vCO 5.5.2 but there is a technical issue preventing so).

Since what first looked at a good decision results on issues for the early adopters that cannot wait the next release of vCenter it has been decided to release a stand alone vCO 6 version for customers opening an SR related to incompatibilities between vRA and vCO 5.5.2.

I hope this makes sense (but we definitely admit that we could have done a better job avoiding some of these issues).

Regards,

Christophe.

VMrandy2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Christophe.  I very much appreciate the response.

I'm glad to hear the appliance will be made available to those who need it.

I'd be curious to know how many customers use a distributed or semi distributed model who would be unable to take advantage of the latest vRealize suite without losing the new clustering feature. 

There was a lot of hype around this release, and it's not actually mentioned anywhere that there is no appliance version. It's also not mentioned to be an appliance in the vRA release notes, which it  would be expected to be by customers after the push from VMware to use it. 

I can appreciate the notion of holding the release for a common code base, but why not wait for the next release to do that?

Is there any thought around a vRA only release of vRO?  With just enough to manage vRA?I keep the same code base and just enable or disable

thanks again!

-randy

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Please tell me this stand alone release of 6.0 will also include the Windows install and not just an appliance.  In our environment we do not use the appliance.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, this will only be a VA version.

0 Kudos
lavinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please, be aware that vRO 6.0.1 (H1 2015) will include a windows based installation.

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am trying really, really, really hard not to whine about this little fiasco.  I am happy to hear we will still be getting a windows version of vRO 6.x since we are currentlty bound to this and it would be a good amount of work to convert all of the existing workflows we have that depend on running a windows command.  I am not too happy this means we are stuck (again) at a particular version due to the mismatches in products that get distributed with vRA.

If we file a support case can we get an early release of the standalone for Windows (or is this already available with the vsphere beta)?  I can deploy this in our lab and do some testing.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

fyi vsphere 6.0 with new  vRO version is supposed to be announced Feb 2 at partner central...

0 Kudos