VMware Cloud Community
zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VmWare Orchestrator and VirtualBox

Hi Smiley Happy

I need to run VmWare Orchestrator for a uni project in order to create a couple of workflows.Now, I was looking for a free virtualisation platform to run the .ova on and chose VirtualBox for my Mac (Mojave). Then i imported the .ova file as described online and tried to start the Orchestrator.

Everything seemed to be working fine until it repeatedly said: "sleeping 10 second for vro to start fully..." again and again.

Unfortunately, I did not find anything online on this issue. The Base Memory and Processor amount should be enough according to the VMWare homepage.

Do I need to complete some additional configuration before running VmWare Orchestrator? I am just looking for a simple setup in order to complete the workflows.

Really appreciating any kind of help, thank you guys!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to open the link number 3 from the previous screenshot ( https://{ip_address}:8281/vco ) in a browser and you'll get a page with several links; one of them should be labelled "Start Orchestrator client" (or something like that). Click on it and use vcoadmin / vcoadmin credentials to login.

I'd suggest to search online, eg. on Youtube, for videos showing how to continue from there, how to create workflows, how to launch them, etc.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Orchestrator appliance does not require any additional configuration. If you are able to run other images in VirtualBox then Orchestrator should also work (unless there is something Mac-related).

Which vRO version/build is this? Where do you see this 'sleeping' message - in VirtualBox UI?

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! Yes, inside the UI. I started it via the import function and left all settings on default.

And it is version 7.5.0.458

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, it takes some time for vRO server to start, so seeing these messages is not an indication of a problem. Depending on the host machine, it could take from a couple of minutes to much longer.

What happens eventually? Is there some error at the end that vRO server has failed to start?

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, thanks!

I have always stopped the process, so maybe I should give it some time once.

Do you think my mac with 8gb memory and an 2,7 GHz i5 might have difficulties with Orchestrator?

I will leave the process running and update you on what happened.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your Mac specs are just fine. Orchestrator will work normally on much weaker machines.

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much Ilian, it works now.

Now, it asks me for login credentials but says the combinations admin admin & vcoadmin vcoadmin do not work. Is there anything I can use if I just want to create workflows?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you show where are you trying to login? In the workflow designer, in configuration UI, in the appliance UI? There are different login credentials for different applications.

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the login.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, SSH login to the Orchestrator appliance is done using credentials root / <password-specified-during-ova-deployment>

For workflow designer the default credentials (if there is no vSphere/vRA authentication configured) are vcoadmin / vcoadmin

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry that I am so inexperienced here. But, how do I create workflows now? I am inside the localhost, as you can see from the picture.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to open the link number 3 from the previous screenshot ( https://{ip_address}:8281/vco ) in a browser and you'll get a page with several links; one of them should be labelled "Start Orchestrator client" (or something like that). Click on it and use vcoadmin / vcoadmin credentials to login.

I'd suggest to search online, eg. on Youtube, for videos showing how to continue from there, how to create workflows, how to launch them, etc.

zenhuwar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alright, I downloaded the .jnlp file, installed it trough Java and can now see the interface to start workflows.

I saw many tutorials on this, but just not on how to get started. You were a tremendous help, thank you so much!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos