VMware Cloud Community
kharding
Contributor
Contributor

VM Customization Status Check

Hi all,

I'm applying a Customisation Spec to a VM and then starting the VM up.

I currently have a sleep timer set to basically wait a finite amount of time for the customisation to complete before continuing with other tasks in the workflow. Whilst this works, its a bit dirty and has no real guarantee that the customisation has finished before the workflow continues.

How can I confirm that the customisation has applied and been a success or failure? I can see that there are VcCustomizationSucceeded and VcCustomizationFailed objects but have no idea how I should be accessing them, or event if that's what I should be checking.

I guess my input parameter should be the VM that's getting customized??

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If part of the customization process is to set the hostname of the VM to match the displayname of the VM, you can use the action vim3WaitDnsNameInTools to ensure that the DNS name coming back to tools matches whatever name you want (that's what I'm doing).. Of course, you still have to set a polling value (in seconds) for how often to check if tools has the right name and a timeout value... but, you can set both as conservatively or aggressively as you want. I believe I set the polling value at 15 seconds, with a timeout at 10 minutes.. or something along those lines.

-Steve
0 Kudos