VMware Cloud Community
chrisgreer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCO Policy ??

So I was trying to create a VCO policy in 5.1 and basically uses an AMQP subscription and a trigger of onMessage to call a workflow.

I did this way back in Orchestrator.  This post ( http://www.vcoteam.info/learn-vco/configure-the-amqp-plug-in.html ) walks you through how to do this....

In 5.1 when you click on the onMessage trigger object there is no bottom half of the screen where it shows what script or workflow to run.

The bottom panel says in grey letters...  User Mode, Inspector Disabled.

This seems like a bug.

I can have a workflow that just loops waiting on events in the queue, but that makes life difficult in a world where we are trying to automate now we have to log in manually and make sure this workflow is running or things break....

Also if we run the listening workflow manually and have it loop, it spawns an async workflow and then gos back to listening.

Sometimes the async workflows show up as running in orchestrator and sometimes not.

If we put 1 message on the AMQP it executes but does not show up in orchestrator.

If we put 3 messages on AMQP all 3 execute and only 1 shows up in orchestrator.

If we put 5 messages, all 5 execute but only 1 shows up in orchestrator.

We are basically using an AMQP message to kick off provisioning workflow and that workflow publishes out an amqp message when it is complete.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Some functionality is available only for users that are in vco administrators group.

Ussually this message appears when you are using regular user access functionality that requires adminnistrator priviliges.

Are you using administartor account ?

Can you try with vco administrator user ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Two things:

1. There is a new version of the AMQP plugin with some fixes. Not sure if it is related to your case but you might want to update it. More details in the links here: http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator/2012/10/important-vcenter-orchestrator-plug-in-updates.html

2. Could you post a screen shoot of the "The bottom panel says in grey letters...  User Mode, Inspector Disabled." in order to get clear idea about the actual panel you are refering to. Thanks.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
chrisgreer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the screenshot.  I can't figure out how to specify the workflow to execute from this trigger.

From the screenshots in the earlier website reference it shows up in the bottom half of this screen but mine is blank.

vco-error.png

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry, I am not sure about that but just another pointer that you can take a look is the license.

Are you able to create/edit workflows?

Thanks.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
chrisgreer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep. I can create, edit and execute workflows fine.

Chris G.

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Some functionality is available only for users that are in vco administrators group.

Ussually this message appears when you are using regular user access functionality that requires adminnistrator priviliges.

Are you using administartor account ?

Can you try with vco administrator user ?

0 Kudos
chrisgreer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The permissions were the issue.  Logging in as root to VCO made the screen available.

0 Kudos
kusports
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What root user?  Is there a VCO root user by default?

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When using the appliance there is a root user, but only for local logins to the appliance.

In the context mentioned here it is vcoadmin (or any other user in the vco admins group you specified in the vco config)

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
kusports
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Joerg,

That was the issue.  We added ourselfs to that group and it all works now.

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Glad it works, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos