VMware Cloud Community
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Understanding vAPI?

I am just starting to work with vRO and so far have been just going through some training to get the fundamentals down. In one of my training sections it started to discuss vAPI, so I did some research and found an article about it.

https://cto.vmware.com/vmwares-solution-to-api-challenges/

I am just trying to make sure I understand this correctly, but is vAPI (looks like it was vCloud Suite SDK and now vRealize Automation SDK) a new set of APIs that will become standardized across all VMware platforms? And if I understand that correctly, my main question is vAPI going to end up taking over the current VMware APIs we use in vRO now?

Since I am just starting to get into this I might as well learn the features available in vAPI now if this is going to become the standardized API across everything in the future. I may be understanding this entirely wrong too, which is why I am here to try and clarify.

Thanks!

C.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well, the future where vAPI is standardized across all VMware products/platforms is quite distant, in my opinion. Some products already provide vAPI endpoint, others are still evaluating it, and for some it is not on the roadmap, and won't be for the foreseeable future. But even the products that have adopted vAPI still have their previous API available and supported.

So it won't harm to learn a thing or two about vAPI, but don't expect it to become the one and the only API used by all VMware products in the next year or two.

0 Kudos