VMware Cloud Community
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to register Orchestrator as VCenter Server extension

Hello,

i am currently studying the book "VMware vRealize Orchestrator Cookbook". I have done the following steps so far:

• Download Orchestrator Appliance 5.5.2.1 and deploy
  • Configure Network Settings
  • Import SSL certificates
  • Configure vCenter Server licences
  • Configure LDAP configuration
  • Registering Orchestrator with SSO
  • Add vCenter Server Host

Within the vSphere Web Client I don't see the orchestrator server - it doesn't show up in the "Registered as VC extension" field. If I trie to manually specify the IP-Adress of the Orchestrator server and click on "Test connection" I get the error "Failed to connect to XXX"

Within the Orchestrator Java Web Client I try to run the following workflow:

Library --> vCenter --> Configuration --> Register vCenter Orchestrator as a vCenter Server extension

But every time I get this error:

A specified parameter was not correct.

extension.key (Workflow:Register vCenter Orchestrator as a vCenter Server extension / Register extension (item1)#10198)

Do you have any ideas to get the Orchestrator server registered in vCenter?

I would like to test some workflows!

Greetings

0 Kudos
12 Replies
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you add vCenter host to vCO it should register itself as extension. You can login at vCenter MOB ( https://<vc ip>/mob ) and check the list of registered extensions in the extensionManager. There should be an array with extensions and the vCO one should have key com.vmware.orchestrator.<guid>. The guid is taken from VC.xml file - the configuration of the VC plugin located at app-server/conf/plugins. This guid is generated when you register the first vCenter server in vCO. If all this is in place then it has to do something with webclient - vco integration.

The only floating part of the extension key is this guid. The prefix is a constant so I am confused why the key is not correct. Probably you already have extension registered and the attempt to create new extension with the same key gives this error.

0 Kudos
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Login Screen from vCenter MOB:

Unbenannt.png

Where do I find the exensions?

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

https://vc ip/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager

Otherwise through content property

0 Kudos
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

OK, now I am able to list the extensions:

Unbenannt.png

There are 2 entries for the Orchestrator - so how can I remove one of them?

And why does the Orchestrator server in vSphere Web Client not appear  - if it is already registered as an extension?

extension.PNG

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

int the methods table there is method 'UnregisterExtension'. Which one of the extensions is for your vCO - the guid part of the key is in VC.xml file in vCO plugins config folder

0 Kudos
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean the plugins folder on the Orchestrator Server itself or the vCenter folder?

Both are virtual appliances.

Can I simple unregister both vCO extensions and try to simple register it again?

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

app-server/conf/plugins on the vCO appliance. Yes you can unregister both and then register with workflow

0 Kudos
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

I successfully unregistered both extensions and then registered it again with workflow.

As you can see there is a new GUID and only one extension now:

extension.PNG

But still the orchestrator server does not show up in the vSphere Web Client.

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

probably web client logs have some info why this vco instance is not exposed. Check also this article VMware KB: VMware vSphere Web Client reports the number of VMware vRealize Orchestrator servers as z...‌ It may be helpful.

0 Kudos
Overjack
Contributor
Contributor

OK thank you!

I have already tried the step that is explained in the link you have posted!

And I have deloyed the virtual appliance of the Orchestrator again!

But the issue still remains.....no luck in integration the server within the vSphere Web Client so far...Smiley Sad

Meanwhile I understand why so many people don't deploy this solution in their existing vmware infrastructure - if it is such a pain to configure ! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
noyanhashemi
Contributor
Contributor

I Agree with you ,It's about 1 week that Im trying to register my vRO to VC server . I have watched all the CBT Nuggets configuration videos , youtube , VMware DOCs , but nothing is changed .
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Show some details and we can help you.

0 Kudos