VMware Cloud Community
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting default value for input variable

Hi,

I'm looking for a possibility to set a default value for an input variable with type VC:VMFolder.

I created a workflow for creating templates of selected VMs in folders or Resourcepools. The user can either select a single vm or folder or resourcepool and if only a single vm is selected, he can set the folder in which the template will be stored.

The problem when selecting a destiantionfolder for the template is that you must go through the whole environment from the vcenter to the VM folder.

So my question is if there is any way to set a default starting point for the folder field?

Here is my presentation view, instead of the second "Not set" should be set the vm folder when the template is started.

wf.jpg

Thanks and Regards

Alu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It should work. Which vRO version do you se?

BTW, you said "when I click the green cross". Which client do you use to start the workflow - vRO workflow designed, or vSphere Web Client? Root object property does not work with vSphere Web client (this is by design, not a bug).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Alu,

Take a look at the presentation property 'Specify a root object to be shown in the chooser'. It allows you to specify the root of the inventory tree to be shown in the object chooser for your vm folder.

0 Kudos
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ilian,

thanks for the helpful answer, I got it working with a default value and "vm" as starting folder when you click on the default folder in the orchestrator but it is not working in the vcenter environment.

I can see the default folder but when I click the green cross I start at the top of the hierarchy again instead of the defined start folder.

Here are my settings:

pro1.jpg

pro2.jpg

Btw. just added the attribut and property to the resourcepool parameter and there it is also not working.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It should work. Which vRO version do you se?

BTW, you said "when I click the green cross". Which client do you use to start the workflow - vRO workflow designed, or vSphere Web Client? Root object property does not work with vSphere Web client (this is by design, not a bug).

0 Kudos
Aluvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use 7.2.0 Orchestrator version but as you said, I'm trying to start this workflow in the vsphere webclient of course^^

Very curious that this simple function isn't supported in the web client but I can't change it.

Anyways thank you for your help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos