VMware Cloud Community
pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server Error null when importing a custom package

This is my first attempt at creating a package (Alpha Automation Package) - it contains several workflows and configuration items.

When attempting to import into another Orchestrator instance, I get the following:

error.PNG

Is there a log location I can find to try and figure out what's causing this error? Has anyone seen this before?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The previously reported issue (in the PR I mentioned above) was caused by a mismatch of client and server build numbers.

Can you check if the build number of the client is exactly the same as the build number of the server?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which version of vCO are you using?

Can you try to export /import same package without configuration elements?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Locations of Orchestrator log files are documented in the public documentation available at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/orchestrator_pubs.html

Note the locations might be version-dependent. For 5.5.x, here is the direct link to 'Orchestrator Log Files' section in the documentation http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vco_install_config.doc/GUID-0BA1B08B-...

pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply, I've been feeling under the weather.

I'm exporting/importing with vCO 5.1.0. I can try this morning to remove the configuration elements and import that.

After removing the configuration elements, the package imported just fine. I'm guessing that's a known bug? I've been meaning to upgrade (not all the way to 5.5 as nothing else in my environment is 5.5), maybe this will be the impetus for the upgrade.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't recall such known bug.

Is it possible to get a copy of your package (if it doesn't contain sensitive data) so we can check what exactly is causing import failure?

0 Kudos
pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After breaking out the config elements into their own package, things have started to work. I'm not 100% sure why they didn't work together, but I'm relatively happy with the results for now. The only downside is it appears the values for those configuration elements didn't get brought over (namely arrays of strings for list compilation).

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have actually an issue with similar message but we were unable to identify the exact cause till now. I think the issue might be connected with a new option added to export wizard regarding export of ConfiurationElements values. Will try to reproduce it ibut as Ilian mentioned providing the package causign the issue will help us to reproduce it.

Regards, Ivo

0 Kudos
pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll take a look to see if the package has sensitive information prior to providing it. Is there a VMware site I can upload it so that it doesn't become available to the public?

On another note, it looks like I was incorrect about versions, a coworker was upgrading the second vCO site between import/export.

• Exported package from 5.1.0 using 5.1.0 client
  • Imported into 5.1.2 using 5.1.0 client (Null Error)
  • Upgraded client to 5.1.2, upgraded source to 5.1.2, Export/Import works

Maybe this is a case of user error? I can't seem to replicate the original error, even with the original package.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PR #1170885 looks identical

0 Kudos
pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have a link to that PR?

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is no publicly available  link.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The previously reported issue (in the PR I mentioned above) was caused by a mismatch of client and server build numbers.

Can you check if the build number of the client is exactly the same as the build number of the server?

0 Kudos
pezhorEL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It wasn't at the time I was getting the errors. Now that the client/server build numbers match I'm good to go. Thanks!

0 Kudos