VMware Cloud Community
tough_siberian_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it a bug or feature? HostSystem.configManager property is empty.

Hi.

What I have discovered is that HostSystem.configManager property doesn't contain any values, so I had to use PropertyCollector to retrieve them.

Is it a bug (related to that property note on vSphere API) or maybe I'm missing something?

The situation happens, when the ESXi host is added to the inventory after vCenter registration with vCO.

Other details:

vCenter and ESXi are running with evaluation licences, vSphere version is 5.1 and vCO is installed as appliance with version 5.0 and then upgraded to 5.1

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
thechaos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

funny thing, had the same issue, and for me a reboot of the complete orchestration server seems to fix this ....

Thomas

0 Kudos
tough_siberian_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This doesn't seem to be a proper solution in dynamic environments, where orchestrator manages lifecycle for ESXi servers.

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This seems like a bug to me.

When you mentioned you used the property collector was it with deactivating the inventory service in vCenter ? This should force the plug-in to use the property collector.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
tough_siberian_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just created an action which directly calls PropertyCollector.RetrievePropertiesEx() API method.

I think the problem can be related to the issue mentioned for configManager property in the API documentation:

In releases after vSphere API 5.0, vSphere Servers might not generate property collector update notifications for this property. To obtain the latest value of the property, you can use PropertyCollector methods RetrievePropertiesEx or WaitForUpdatesEx. If you use the PropertyCollector.WaitForUpdatesEx method, specify an empty string for the version parameter. Any other version value will not produce any property values as no updates are generated.

Meanwhile I've seen other places in API docs mentioning the same thing for other properties.

0 Kudos