VMware Cloud Community
deepthy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Invoking Workflows in one Orchestrator from another

Hi,

I am trying to integrate 2 different vCO. We have a vCO 5.0 and vCO 5.5 installation in our set-up.

I need to trigger the workflows in vCO 5.5 from vCO 5.0 . Is this doable? If yes, what is the best possible way to do this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no such thing as vCO 5.0; I assume you mean vCO 5.1.

There are several ways to invoke workflows. You can use vCO REST API. You can use vCO SOAP API (will be deprecated). Or you can try multi-node plug-in (although I'm not sure if such scenario is supported by the plug-in).

If you opt for vCO REST API approach, keep in mind that if both vCO servers are configured in SSO mode, they'll use different SSO servers and you won't be able to use SAML tokens issued from one SSO to authenticate against the other SSO. Also, you won't be able to use basic authentication over SSO if the vCO 5.1 is the GA version (you'll need 5.1U1 or newer).

0 Kudos
deepthy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since SOAP API would be deprecated, I would want to take the REST API approach.

Is there a REST plugin available that could be used with vCO 5.1?

Also, please help me understand a little more about SSO integration.

If I configure both the vCO to talk to the same SSO server, would I still have any issues?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, there is a REST plug-in (called vCO HTTP-REST plug-in). I think version 1.0.2 is compatible with vCO 5.1

Note you are not forced to use this plug-in. You can make REST calls using any other suitable http client library.

On your second question - you cannot configure 5.1 and 5.5 instances to talk to the same SSO server. vCO 5.1 needs SSO1, and vCO 5.5 needs SSO2, which are not fully compatible on SAML tokens level.

0 Kudos
deepthy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the Insight.

Is there any workaround with SSO? How do I integrate these 2 versions of vCO without upgrade?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no workarounf for incompatibilities between SSO1 and SSO2, sorry. It is something that is not controlled by the vCO team.

Your options are:

1) Make sure that your vCO 5.1 build is at least version 5.1U1, and call REST API using basic authentication over SSO (providing username/password instead of SAML token). If both SSO servers are configured to use the same AD/LDAP backend, the same user accounts can be used to make REST calls in both directions.

2) If you want to use SAML tokens, before making each REST API call, make sure that the SAML token you are passing in the headers is issued by the 'right' SSO server.

0 Kudos
deepthy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information.

I will work with the concerned teams to check the feasibility/compatibility and revert.

0 Kudos