VMware Cloud Community
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to provisioning a VM through an ISO using vRO

Hi Team,

We have a requirement to create RHEL VM using an ISO and not through template. We are on vRA 7.5 version.

I have looked into the blog post Extend vRealize Automation for Third-Party Imaging Technologies - VMware Cloud Management and the package link is broken.

Can someone provide me the package details or a procedure to provision a VM through ISO?

Please share any other custom properties consider for ISO build apart from the list below:

Image.ISO.Location

Image.ISO.Name

VMware.SCSI.Type

VMware.VirtualCenter.OperatingSystem

Regards,

Sasidhar

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

We have a requirement to create RHEL VM using an ISO and not through template.

I'm always curious when people say this. Would you mind explaining your use case here and why you can't use a VM template?

0 Kudos
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My customer do not want to create additional logical volume to extend the base disk due to some maintenance issues. With template, we cannot override the base disk unless we create additional logical volume to extend the disk.

When we build through ISO we can give the size as per mount point requirements and without any additional logical volumes we can build the VM.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Just my opinion after doing dozens of production vRA 7.x deployments, but I'd strongly push your customer to not trying to build a VM manually using XaaS and instead get them to use IaaS flows and fix their issue. There are other ways they can go about addressing the template disk size without having to start from scratch. But if they go down the road of XaaS, there is a lot of heavy lifting they're signing up for as they re-create essentially an IaaS system in vRA. It is not at all recommended.

0 Kudos